Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honeyu is so hppyu tpo be home. We eft her to be boarded with my vet at 2:30 Tuesday afternoon as I was going to be out of town all day yesterday...and hubby was back on the road. I did take over her own kibble (Taste f the Wild)_ for that night, bopth meals yesterday and breakfast today.

Spn went by and picked her up at 9:00 this morning and brought her h ome and she just ran circles she was so happy to be home. She had h er back end going so fast I thought it was going too pass her front end.

She has not let me o ut of her sight all day and we took a 3 hour nap together this afternoon and she stay3d right up next to m e. I spent hours and h ours walking around the outlet mall yesterday, plus the 3 hour ride up and the 3 hour ridew back, sop IO had a good excuse for being poopoed and needing a 3 hours np[a. I don't know waht her excuse would be---except she jsut wanted to be right next to me to make sure I didn't get away from here again.

·
Daisy-Broken Heart Healer
595 Posts
I always enjoy your Honey stories. We had a Honey too and she acted just like your Honey. When we did leave her for a few days, she would squeal and snort and dance when we returned. And then she was never far from us, so that she could prevent us from leaving again. Honey is a good excuse to take a nap!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I know she is so happy to be home with you. Are you going to make her the special stew this weekend?

·
3 goldens
11,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She has a 4 week supply in the freezer. I know she missed it the2 nights at the vets.

·
3 goldens
11,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have een making this for years. Before losing Buck (heart attack at age 12 yrs. 3 months on May 12, 2007) and KayCee to cnacer at age 8 yrs. 9 m,onths (May 25, 2008), I had to make it every two weeks.

I take 5 pounds of chicken thighs, (skinned, fat removed) about 2 1/2 pounds of chicken necks (Skinned, fat removed), 1 to 1;2 pounds of beef liver orchicken gizzards (cut up), 2-3 sweet potatoes (depeding on size), 1 to 2 apples (depending on size) and someimes less of them and add some green squash, and then a pound bag of frozen green beans, broccolli or last time spinache. Put it all in huge crock pot, cover, or almost cover with water, heat to boiling (covred of course) turn the heat down and cook about 24 hours. The bones do cook soft, but I do always check and if I think they are not soft enough I toss the part I do not consider soft enough. The ends and of curse the neck bones crumble.

I keep enough out for 5 meals, and then freeze the rest in containers to last 5 days each. She gets 3/4 cup of dry food (Taste of the Wild High Prairie) in the morning and at night, 3/4 cup of it mixed with 1/2 cup of the chicken stew. This is for 5 nights. Then the next 3 nights she gets canned mackeral or canned salmon instead of the stew. Then back to the stew.

Before my vision got so bad and I had to stop driving, I fished all the time and would cook fresh caught redfish, trout, flounder, etc for the dogs. Little story here. Hubby is cross country trucker driver, gone up to 3 weeks at a time. One time he was due in in the early hours of the morning. I haqd been fishing and got a nice stringer of flounder, droped some off my our son & family, brought the rest home, cleaned & fileted them and cooked them in microwave for the odgs and cat.

Hubby ended up getting in about 8:30 starbved and I had nothing to feed him thawed or cooked. So he ended up with a can of soup and a grilled cheese and then for years he has gone around telling folks I cook flounder for the dogs and he gets acanned soup and grillee cheese.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts