1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
Now I have been a Honda driver for a long time...I'm on my 4th model. I must admit that I never really liked the Element but might have to give this a second look when the lease on my Pilot is up in December!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
It is very COOL!
But, and there is always a but, I just wished they would involve people who they are marketing a concept to to help develop that concept. My beef it with the factory installed enclosed cargo area. Why would they design it with the door laying on the tail gate for the dog to step on and catch a nail and tear it to shreds?
But overall I think they are learning there is a market for such things. Good for them!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Very interesting. I need something two dogs could use and is that a soft crate or steel? Can you tell? I want a door so they can't jump out at me when I'm in a hurry and don't give them the "stay" "wait" command. I need them to come at me one at a time!

I like how they're thinking though!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
From the photo I believe it is a fabric cover. It also looks like the ends (facing the sides of the car) are open. Almost like a "tunnel" which would prevent them from being hurdle in the event oof an accident. But if the ends are "open" I bet a lot of dogs figure that out real quick and will escape into the main cabin area.
I retrack that statement revisiting the website it is NOT open on the ends, there is mesh covering them. So my only gripe, via photo, is the door laying on the tailgate.
Also curious how "deep" the enclosure is. I do not recall how much space was behind the second row seats, took my out and put them in the basement the day I got the car.

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
How cool! DH and I fell in love with this car when it came out so when time came when we needed a new vehicle it was at the top of our list to look at. Love all the room after taking seats out--great dog transport vehicle!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the square cars, but this is something I have been saying all along that the car companies need to cater to the dog world. I currently drive a Toyota Highlander and it fits two extra large crates (boy size) but not well (one crate is sitting askew.

I have been looking for another vehicle which will fit two crates side by side I know the Durango and the Tahoe will work are there any other SUVs that anyone can suggest? (We do have a full size Chevy pick-up but I want something that the boys can have air conditioning in the summer)

·
Cody, Daisy, Ollie's mom
729 Posts
We have a Honda Pilot and we love it! I think we can put three golden size dogs in the back easy. We only have two so have a room for another one:) I don't really care for the shape of the Element but Honda is thinking right for the dog lovers! I like that!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the square cars, but this is something I have been saying all along that the car companies need to cater to the dog world. I currently drive a Toyota Highlander and it fits two extra large crates (boy size) but not well (one crate is sitting askew.

I have been looking for another vehicle which will fit two crates side by side I know the Durango and the Tahoe will work are there any other SUVs that anyone can suggest? (We do have a full size Chevy pick-up but I want something that the boys can have air conditioning in the summer)
Well never being shy about posting pictures of my dogs or car I will take the oppurtunity to post here. ;)
This is my Element :D

Attachments

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
That is an awesome back window! Where did you get that? What size are your crates?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
That is an awesome back window! Where did you get that? What size are your crates?
Thank You!

The crates are 23w x27h x36l

the window art is custom made from www.glasscapes.com
those dogs are my Keeper, her daughter Lucy and my nieghbor's boy Bosco (Keeper's son, Lucy's littermate)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still want someone to outfit my back end to fit two crates. Hank? Want to come to Illinois?

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
I have a chevy trailblazer and wih the new baby coming in a few weeks I'm not sure if Amber will have use of the backseat any longer. Which is a shame since one of the biggest things I loved about it is the rear facing a/c and controls. The a/c system was built strong enough to condition a 1 bedroom apt(declaration made by chevy) and to move her to the rear cargo area, even with a portable fan and no opening windows just is NOT feasable to me. Even with this suv(?) while it does have a fan it still doesn't appear to have it's own a/c or heating controls, something I would think dog owners would want. I would also want a system available to REMOVE the ignition key and still allow the car/suv to run with all systems on, allowing me to leave Amber in the car with the a/c on while running into a gas station without fear of the car being stolen and without the hassle of an aftermarket system being installed. I think this concept is along way in coming but they need to poll their demographics abit more to make it more seriously dog friendly. If I am going to actually purchase a suv badged as "dog friendly" I expect it will meet all my serious needs of travel with my dog. That would make it worth paying for. Just my $.02

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
We've had an Element since we got it new in 2004. We're seriously looking at the Doggie version of the Element this Fall or next Spring.

We can fit an XL and a L sized cage side-by-side in the back of the Element (we also took the seats out the first day we got the SUV) and still have room for several small cages or 1 or 2 tethered friendly dogs behind them.

When we have to run into the gas station but leave the A/C on--we simply carry a second key and lock all the doors. We lucked out the first time we tried it when Atticus jumped up on the drivers side door from the inside and pushed the door lock button down--thereby locking ALL the doors. We had cracked a window wide enough that we could open the door through the window...:doh: Whew! You have a good point about the rear fan; we haven't had too much trouble with temperature; the A/C vents to the rear from under the front seats. As long as the second row of seats are not there--it may be ok--but something to think more about...

We've been using the Element for transporting rescues for over two years. Wouldn't have any other vehicle.

I don't think that the dogs would get their toenails caught in the tailgate since the gate is actually in two pieces; when down, the first slides over the hinge of the second, thereby covering it.

Just my opinion--it's certainly not the best looking vehicle and the gas mileage is not great (~24 mpg)--but for utility and being dog friendly--it's the best I've ever owned.... and really easy to clean out...

Scott J.

·
Classic Karma
451 Posts
I have to admit....I've warmed up to the Element in the last few months. My lease on an Envoy XL is up in July so I'm looking around for my next vehicle. I'm bummed that the Dog Friendly version won't be available until Fall!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts