Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a kind of nervous for the little guy. I sure hope everything goes okay. Anyone have any advice for when I bring him home? What should I expect? What can I do to help him recover as quickly as possible? Thanks everyone!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Hope everything goes well today. Some dogs are very out of it when they come home, but others act like it never happened. Be prepared to have an e-collar handy (the cone) if he does try to lick the incision. Have lots of mental stimulation for the next week to week and a half since play will be off-limits.

·
luverofpeanuts
154 Posts
Our big boy Spirit had to stay overnight when he had his big boy surgery. He had an undescended testicle so the operation ended up being more like a spay than a neuter.

Even with that, it was like nothing happened. We had quite the challenge to keep him on leash and not rough-housing with his sibling sister Aspen. Even the very day he came home. He didn't even bother with his sutures much at all. We were happy he didn't think much of the surgery.

Kongs are the ticket to keep him more or less content and stationary... just resign to the fact that you'll be refilling them often. ;-)

l

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My dogs have always acted like nothing happened! Even Selka who also had the abdominal incision due to an undescended testicle. None ever needed a cone either but we are having Sasha neutered in Jan. so we'll see how that goes.

Wishing good healing to your dear boy!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the comments and tips everyone. This forum has definitely been a big help. The vet called about an hour and a half after I dropped him off and said that he was all done. They said everything went great and he was doing well. Now we're going to have to figure out how to keep him calm. The Kong toy is a great idea. I might have to go pick up another one so I can rotate them while the other is freezing. I'll keep you all posted once I go pick him up. Thanks again!

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Glad to hear that Homer's surgery went well. Keep him quiet the first night and by tomorrow he will probably be back to normal. I would just try to keep him from jumping or running around for a few days. They heal up pretty fast. The kongs will help him....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Homer is on the mend. He doesn't seem to be too bothered by the neuter, but he isn't quite his crazy self. All in all I think he is doing really well. I filled a Kong with lunch meat and froze it. That kept him entertained for about an hour or so last night. Anyways, I just thought I would post an update today and let everyone know he is doing well. Should be back to his crazy self in no time. Now I just have to try and keep him from being his crazy self too soon! Thanks again everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts