Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in here make their Golden's raw food from home? If so how does it work. Where do you get your meat and organs? And how much do they eat and the general cost a month? My boy wants to try it out ?

Attachments

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,833 Posts
Does anyone in here make their Golden's raw food from home? If so how does it work. Where do you get your meat and organs? And how much do they eat and the general cost a month? My boy wants to try it out ?

I don't make my dogs food from scratch. I get a commercially prepared diet. I do Nature's Variety and I'm about to start going with that full time as I Feed a kibble and raw half and half. It's just too easy to get imbalances making it yourself. I know more then most about nutrition and I still won't make my dogs food myself. The Nature's Variety is 95% meat and 5% fruits and veggies and I feed Maggie about a pounds a day split into 2 meals.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I don't make my dogs food from scratch. I get a commercially prepared diet. I do Nature's Variety and I'm about to start going with that full time as I Feed a kibble and raw half and half. It's just too easy to get imbalances making it yourself. I know more then most about nutrition and I still won't make my dogs food myself. The Nature's Variety is 95% meat and 5% fruits and veggies and I feed Maggie about a pounds a day split into 2 meals.
does part of the meat portion contain organ meats?

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I make my dog's raw food, and it does need 10% organ meat (I almost always use beef liver, and some kidneys as well), and they have been on it for 2.5 years now. It's not that hard to follow the 80/10/10 prey model, and the B.A.R.F model as well.

If you want, I can share more information on raw food etc

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,833 Posts
I do. I get the meat from butcher shops, and I even bought a small freezer only for my dog :)

Here are some examples of the meals I make, I follow the BARF model.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bernaphotography22/albums/72157684239833524
I was looking at the link you posted. The 5th picture down looks like raw salmon. Just an FYI, dogs should never eat raw salmon. Raw salmon can contain the Neorickettsia helminthoeca parasite which causes salmon poisoning disease. It can be fatal!

It a bacteria in raw fish infected with a flukes, a flatworm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I’m new to the forum, but I do feed Misty a raw diet. She eats BARF, biologically appropriate raw food which is 80% muscle meat, 10% raw meaty bone, 5% liver and 5% other organs. I recommend using omega 3 oil instead of fish when you start, then add fish as you go.
I usually get the meat at Asian grocery stores which are very cheap.
Misty eats once a day. We used to feed her twice a day but found it easier to feed once. Dogs take a while to digest, so it is better to feed once a day. Sometimes, it is healthy to fast them once or twice a week.
I buy ingredients once a week for one week. This week it costed around $12-15

You can go to misty’s Instagram: @Mistythgolden to see some of her meals.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was looking at the link you posted. The 5th picture down looks like raw salmon. Just an FYI, dogs should never eat raw salmon. Raw salmon can contain the Neorickettsia helminthoeca parasite which causes salmon poisoning disease. It can be fatal!

It a bacteria in raw fish infected with a flukes, a flatworm.
It's only true for salmon from the Pacific Northwest. If you get your salmon from other sources, there is no reason to fear. I've been feeding raw salmon since 2012 with no issues, however ours comes from Norway. Also, if you deep-freeze the salmon for 30 days, it kills the parasite.

I also feed raw sardines and they are fine.

However, you may have noticed that my meals don't contain raw pork. It's because pork here can be infected by the deadly Aujeszky virus. I know people from the West feed pork with no issues since pork there is safe.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,833 Posts
It's only true for salmon from the Pacific Northwest. If you get your salmon from other sources, there is no reason to fear. I've been feeding raw salmon since 2012 with no issues, however ours comes from Norway. Also, if you deep-freeze the salmon for 30 days, it kills the parasite.

I also feed raw sardines and they are fine.

However, you may have noticed that my meals don't contain raw pork. It's because pork here can be infected by the deadly Aujeszky virus. I know people from the West feed pork with no issues since pork there is safe.
This is true but can say come from farm raised salmon as well, though in very small occurrences. But generally true, it's just the farm that is used to source the salmon has to be reputable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts