Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking for some guidance here. We have a 4 month old golden retriever pup, and during the 3 months we've had her we've switched foods multiple times and taken many vet trips. He stools seem to not be firm and she goes way more frequently than normal. So after trying these natural dog foods, I switched to cooking boiled (hormone free) chicken and a orchard grown Apple for her meals.

this has helped SO much!!! I can't believe the difference. I'm wondering if anyone can beore specific on how much chicken I should be feeding her and how many times a day.. And if there's anything anyone recommends we add.

Thanks so much :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi. Not sure if anyone has responded. I can only tell you what works for us. For the last 12 years we fed our golden girl home cooked food. Her meals were 1/3 protein, 1/3 starch and 1/3 veg. Broccoli is the king of veg so she got a lot of steamed broccoli. If I cooked a roast on the weekends, she'd get diced roast beef. Whatever protein we had she would have. Startch was usually brown rice.

We now have two pups. One is 10.5 month and the other is almost 6 months. They are eating the same as our bridge girl did. They get 2/3 cup protein, 2/3 cup rice and a handful of veg. They love snow peas, apples, one likes bananas the other doesn't. They love yogurt and cheese. We usually put shredded cheddar one their dinner. Just a pinch or two. We do scrambled eggs on weekends. Basically they eat what we eat.
There are a few no nos. no grapes/raisins, no onions or garlic. Check the list of what foods dogs can't have. We also feed them 2x a day.

We read a book years ago called "The Heart of the Matter" which had some neat info.
Hope this helps a bit. BTW we,haven't had any issues with runny poop. Couple of soft ones but then I add a bit more rice to the meal and things get firm again. Of course they seem to eat a lot of rabbit poop in our back yard so there is the odd upset from that.

Reactions: Max209 and Melfice

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi, just came across this thread... I feed my golden 2% protein for his bodyweight, then a ratio of 50:25:25 (protein, veg,whole grains) I supplement with joint formula, seaweed powder and cod liver oil. Your dog is only a pup so you will need to adjust your ratios accordingly and supplement wisely so as not to cause any deficiencies in minerals and vitamins. Your recipes should also be varied with different protein sources, vegetables and fruits.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just came across this thread as well. I've been homecooking for my Goldens for about 13 years. Just wanted to note that it is extremely important to get the Calcium-to-Phosphorus ratio correct, especially during this growing stage of a young puppy. Feeding lots of chicken, but without calcium, is not good for healthy bone development. In fact, I should say that I only start homecooking around age 8-9 months, because I've always been worried I might cause imbalances or deficiencies in a puppy in spite of all the reading I've done.

There are two good resources I have used on homecooking. The best is Jean Dodds new book titled "Canine Nutrigenomics." There are also some good download e-books at whole-dog-journal (in the Products section) on home prepared diets for dogs.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
My holistic veterinarian recommends HILARY'S BLEND (formerly THE BALANCER) supplement for home-made meals. Your veterinarian will have to order this for you. It come with a cook book with exact measurements for various recipes for puppies, adult dogs and dogs with special health needs.

My homeopathic veterinarian recommends either raw, a combination of raw and home cooked ( not mixed together). She feels that starch of any kind is not necessary in a home cooked diet ( rice, pasta, bread etc) Her recommendation is to feed 75-80% meat mixed with 20-25% steamed veggies/fruit and supplement ( mix in) Soul Food and Green Min to the cooked diet as per package directions: Dr. Dobias Original Products

I have done both. I currently am feeding Brisby the latter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mixed raw and “formula” food.

Can I jump in here and ask. My boy will be 2 in January. A couple of months back I gave my retriever some chicken with his food, cooked lean breast. Needless to say he loved it so it became a treat to give him chicken or beef, never raw but cooked in the oven for maybe 10-15 minutes. I mixed that with his “formula food” (Concept for Life). I adjusted his Concept for Life so the total does not exceed his recommended daily total.

Overall he was a very fit and healthy dog until May he had surgery on his cruciate ligaments (both legs in 5 months). I told my vet of my feeding arrangements but he seemed more keen to make sure I didn’t over feed him as he was not as mobile as normal. I'm curious to make sure with both it does not diminish his nutrient quotas.

Question is do you guys mix raw/cooked with your normal “formula” feeds? Many thanks.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Can I jump in here and ask. My boy will be 2 in January. A couple of months back I gave my retriever some chicken with his food, cooked lean breast. Needless to say he loved it so it became a treat to give him chicken or beef, never raw but cooked in the oven for maybe 10-15 minutes. I mixed that with his “formula food” (Concept for Life). I adjusted his Concept for Life so the total does not exceed his recommended daily total.

Overall he was a very fit and healthy dog until May he had surgery on his cruciate ligaments (both legs in 5 months). I told my vet of my feeding arrangements but he seemed more keen to make sure I didn’t over feed him as he was not as mobile as normal. I'm curious to make sure with both it does not diminish his nutrient quotas.

Question is do you guys mix raw/cooked with your normal “formula” feeds? Many thanks.
So sorry to hear about your boy's cruciate issues. I am dealing with the same with Brisby...cruciate tear last summer which did well with CM and now she is having problems in the other leg...again we will proceed with conservative management. Hope that your boy is recovering well after surgery.

My food journey with Brisby began with feeding a mix of Orijen with home cooked. We then migrated to totally home cooked and tried using Hillary's Blend ( as I posted above) however found this to be too cumbersome to prepare.

Now I feed app 60% raw and 40% home cooked adding supplements recommended by our veterinarian which include: Dr Peter Dobias Green Min & Soul Food, a good Omega 3 & 4Cyte

I see that you are in Ireland, therefore I don't know what raw sources you may have. I use Big Country Raw and choose a blend that contains ground bone, organ, fruits, veggies etc.

I have fed both raw and home cooked separately and in the same meal, however not mixed together in the same bowl. For some dogs it is better to feed the raw at one meal and home cooked at another, however mixing does not bother Brisby. I evenutally will migrate Brisby to a totally raw diet or one with a higher ratio of raw to home cooked.

Yes, agreed that the challenge is to keep them as lean as possible without compromising nutrition.

Hopefully others will chime in with some good recommendations.

Wishing your boy a full recovery and many, many years of excellent mobility!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts