Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Found my Golden boy!
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we found an 11 month old purebred male golden, thats very local. I provided vet references, personal references, answered all questions etc. Now she wants me to come meet the dog at her house, which Id be a little nervous about but o.k. with if my husband accompanies me, and then she wants to come see our house. Shes not a rescue, just some person off craigslist. Now, I have nothing to hide, nothing, but I dont know if my husband will go for it. Hes very protective of us, works an awful lot of nights and is always worried about us. He even put masterlocks on our gates so noone can get in the back. How can I convince him its o.k? or do you think I shouldnt allow it either? I have to be honest Im a little nervous too with all the stories I hear about craigslist. :doh:

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
An encouraging sign here is that this woman wants you to go to her house first which I think you should do along with your husband.
When she comes to your house of course she will know where you live but you will also know where she lives too.
If you really want to scope the place out check out the photos in the house and see if you see any of her/her family with the dog. Better yet, if you are going to be taking the dog ask her if you can have some of the pup's baby pics. This way you know that she has, in fact, had this dog all along and isn't try to cause mischief.
If she is on the up and up I'm sure she'll be just as nervous as the two of you and I applaud her for wanting to know what kind of environment this dog is going to live in.
Best of luck to you all.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I don't blame you for being concerned. My daughter almost got involved in a scam after posting an ad to sell a table/chair set. Personally, I don't like people I don't know "casing" my house. What is she looking for after all the references you provided? If she is so concerned about her dog, why is she trying to re-homing it on craigslist of all places. This is just me, but I'd pass on that one.

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
I don't think it's unreasonable for the owner to do a thorough check of the person taking their dog. It sounds like they are trying to do everything right placing the dog in a new home, checking to make sure it's really a good one. This is the process our rescue uses, meet the dog in their current (foster) home, then do a home visit. Which essentially means we are inviting strangers to come to our home, and then asking them to allow strangers to do a home visit at theirs.

Having said that, it is a different thing to have one individual who is not connected to any organization come to your home, so I would definitely do it when your husband is there. Also get a solid name, address, and phone number so if something is off you have that information.

It appears this person is concerned for the well being of the dog, so if this person is as legitimate as it appears, you could end up with a really great dog.

Were you expecting to meet at a public place to pick up the dog?

·
Found my Golden boy!
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No

Figured we would meet him there and if everything worked out wed take him home. Id have no problem with a Rescue coming in, but shes not. Shes also the 2nd owner of this dog besides the breeder and hes only 11 months. Just nervous I guess.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I think you'll probably get a feeling of the kind of person she is when you visit her house and the dog. If something seems off, you don't need to take it any further. I would definitely go, and just take it from there.

FWIW, if I was giving my dog away (which I wouldn't!!!!), I would most definitely make it a requirement that I visited the potential adopters home. There would be NO way around this. So I understand the reasoning behind it.

Also, why don't you call your vet to see if she actually followed through and checked you out, and also ask the personal reference people if she called. If she did, I would think she is probably on the up and up.

I do have a question as to why this dog wasn't returned to the breeder when the first owner didn't keep him. Do you know who the breeder is? Does the woman that has the dog know? As many questions as she want to ask you, you also have the right (and should) ask many questions so you can be fully informed.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Do you think she would allow you to show her pictures of your home instead?

If not, and you have been to her home and she seems legitimate I would let her come when your husband is there.

We moved to a larger house recently and I bought a number of things from Craig's list which I went to the owner's house to view. The person rehoming the dog probably didn't think anything about requesting to see your home.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
sounds like a good, legitimate person to me- she asked you to her house (that's trusting).

my little Craiglist guy was delivered to me (we never met) by the owners. That was stupid (we live secluded), but I felt ok talking to 'em & I sure wanted the dog!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Meet her in public first and ask that she bring the dog. If you still like her and the dog, then make arrangements for a follow-up meeting where she can come see where the dog would be living. And if you get a strange vibe off her in person, trust your gut and pass.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I would have no problem letting someone come to my home. Maybe she took the dog from the original owner because it was a bad situation, and never had the intent to keep him? Now she's just trying to find a good home for him. There's all kinds of scenarios. Take your husband with you, which is always a smart idea, and you'll probably be able to tell if she's serial killer or not.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I think she is doing the right thing.

Maybe you can ask her to send you a copy of her driver's license or something and explain to her why.

My husband answered a craig's list ad, and it ended up being one of his favorite ex-Patriot's players! ... and I thought he was on the way to be mugged.

·
Found my Golden boy!
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone!

I asked if she would just come here when my husband was home, after speaking with her further I felt more comfortable that she wasnt some scammer. She brought him tonight and we fell in love! Check out my newest post!

·
Registered
55 Posts
As someone who used to do home visits myself for a local rescue it's possible this woman may have received advice from a rescue or a well meaning person to do things this way. If you go to her house first you'll know if the dog is what you are looking for and you'll get a sense if she is genuine or not. If there are red flags then look elsewhere and don't have her over. If you feel comfortable and there are no red flags it's not unreasonable to have her come for coffee and bring the dog with her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts