Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Dre - English Golden - 14 years young
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Dre had a bit of a stomach bug recently and I tried cooking him chicken and rice with some carrots in it. He LOVES it and at 14.5 years has become a bit more bouncy and energetic. Anyone give their dog a home made diet 100% of the time. I want to make sure he's getting all the nutrients he needs

We had subscribed to Nom Nom but I noticed it did not agree with is bottom.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have home cooked for years and use BalanceIt.com as my guide. However, you must add vitamins and minerals to make sure the dog is getting a complete and balanced meal. BalanceIt does sell their own supplements but I get my vitamin/mineral supplements from Natures Farmacy and add calcium. My general recipe is to provide 3/4 lbs. of a meat, a white potato, half a sweet potato, cup of a vegetable and fruit with 1 to 2 Tbls of oil. Then I add my calcium, vitamin, mineral, probiotic and Cosequin. Lunch is some of that home cooked food with cooked oatmeal for some grains or you could add that to your breakfast and dinner meal if your dog doesn't eat a lunch. This is a daily recipe but I usually cook for 2 weeks at a time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, we do 50% home cooked and 50% raw. No kibble, I use Dr Harvey's base mix to balance both raw and cooked. Join your local raw food co-cop for great deals on meat.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I agree with working with BalanceIt. Kudos to you for being willing to cook for your dog, but it’s not something that should be done by a novice, especially when feeding any dog with “special needs.” BalanceIt should be able to give you the guidance you need.

Reactions: goldielynn
1 - 4 of 4 Posts