Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here...thanks for all the replies on the intros thread. I have had a look at some other posts on this subject but could not find a definitive answer as to what is best.

My wife and I both work full time so would be out of the house for quite a while during the week. Is there some length of time which is considered to be the maximum that a gr could be left alone? Obviously, I don't want to leave the dog alone, but I have seen that a lot of people leave the dog alone during the day...but is it generally not a good idea? Would he/she not need to be let out during the day to go for a wee?

May seem a silly question...just starting to try and see if there is a way we can get a gr but also don't want to cause the dog any distress etc.

Cheers,
Rich

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
An adult dog can be alone for 8-9 hours pretty easily. Puppies have tine bladders and can only hold it for a few hours at a time. If you plan on using a crate it would be best if you had someone who could let the pup out at noon for a little potty and play time.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
For an adult GR I wouldn't want to leave he/she more than 6 hours on a regular basis. Any longer than that and I wouldn't get a dog as I don't believe it is fair to get one and then it spend a huge portion of the day alone, they shouldn't be kept just to please their owner after a long day at work, you must put their needs first. A puppy I wouldn't leave longer than 3/4 hours at any time as their basic needs will not be met if left any longer as they need to wee/poo/be fed on a regular basis.

Full time work and dog ownership can work if provision is put in place while you are away for the working day. Personally my dogs spend their days at my parents while I am at work, if that wasn't an option and when my parent's aren't available I use a professional dog sitting service that walk your dogs and look after them in their own home.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
A dog will be perfectly fine for 8-10 hours during the day. I have 3 dogs, and I've noticed that even on my days off, they tend to do nothing but sleep all day long, then get more active around the time I usually get home. Puppyhood and potty training might take some work, but once they're grown it should be smooth sailing. Just crate train.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Remember that dogs live in the "now" timewise. You're either with them or gone. Regadless of 10 minutes or 6-7 hours. I spoil my pack rotten by going home at lunch to see them, walks, car rides, etc... so it's more a matter of making sure they don't get bored....because that's where chewed remotes & pillows come from. I'm sure my pack could go 8 hours without seeing me but I have a doggie door for them to use, a very secured yard for them to play in, and they have one another as well. If you and your wife can off shift your leaving for work and coming home at night, provide ample exercise when you're home, maybe spoil the pup by coming home at lunch once in awhile then I'm sure things would work. I would recommend crate training immediately so he/she grows up with their own little "den" to call their own.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I think there is a big difference if the dog is totally alone or has some doggie (or even kitty) friends there with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts