Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 month old golden retriever, Molly. We're having difficulties being able to leave her alone, my whole family works and goes to school but minimally she is left alone for 2 hours but she hates it. I know its probably our fault because we got her during the summer (kids were on summer vacation) so someone was continually with her but now since school started it's been hard. She starts whining/barking like crazy and also walks back in forth from the downstairs area to our bedrooms. It makes me worried to see her anxious like that but we've tried many things. we play with her before we leave, take her for a walk and also bought her new toys so she can entertain herself but nothing. And even if we are here but just in the room over she also whines. Not sure what to do.

Not sure if this matters but we did recently move probably less than 2 months and i don't remember ever having this problem in our previous house.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
She might do better in a more confined area that feels like her safe spot. Was she crated when young? Have you tried giving a stuffed frozen kong? Rukie is so excited about his Kong he forgets he's being left behind although I never mastered the art of freezing them, or he never figured out how to work on them and I would come home to a puddle of yogurt or whatever. I throw in 5 bites of kibble a couple small training treats, a few frozen broccoli stems and a frozen carrot. Also don't make a big deal about leaving or when you return because they can pick up the idea that it was a big deal instead of a routine part of the day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, she wasn't crate trained. But now that you mentioned it at the previous house she loved being under the sofa where she would nap/relax. (current couch is too low so she doesn't fit); Ill work on making a specific area for her and see how that works. Good point about coming home and not making it a big deal about her being alone, never thought about it before! Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts