Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: At the end of June my pup will be 15 weeks old. We have been invited to a family wedding that would take us away from home from about 5pm to 10pm. I think it would be o-k to leave her in the crate and my husband does not agree.He is home with her almost all the time (I work & he's retired) and I am trying to get him to leave her home alone once in a while, for short periods of time, to get her used to being alone. Before it becomes an issue. What do you think about the wedding???

·
Registered
414 Posts
At 15 weeks the Pup should be able to stay home alone. If you don't get her used to it now while she is young, then you may have a harder time later on when you want to go away for the day.

What is the longest she has been alone? Do you know if she has any separation anxiety issues?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We got her when she was 7 weeks old and as far as I know she has never really been alone. She was raised in a kitchen area of a home with 4 kids between the ages of 2 & 9. Since we have had her the only time she is by herself is for short periods of time while we are really only in the next room.She is only 9 weeks now, so I'm thinking we should leave her for what? A 1/2 hour or 1 hour at a time?? How often?? Oh yeah, she does cry when she can't see us.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You have to start out slow and increase the time depending on how she does. Start at 15 minutes and go from there. The idea is she gets to know that you will be back. When you do come back in don't make a big fuss about it. Say hi, bring her out if you think she needs to go, and don't get her all excited and have big hellos. That just makes her anxious to see you arrive when you are gone.

·
One of the first members!
48 Posts
Another thing I've read is that half an hour before leaving, you should ignore your dog; the last thing you should do is keep talking to her saying "mommy will be right back, dearie, don't worry" and so on, because she doesn't understand and in the future she'll know what it means when you do such a thing :O). Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
should be fine. But I agree, she needs time alone before. Start out with 15 minutes and build to larger amounts. I only remove the pup when they are silent, not while they are crying. (I have a 1 year old and 8 wk)

During the day if I'm home the pup does get alone time, just to be able to adjust. If you can I would leave in a "puppy proof" room and leave the crate open. They need the security of it, and the ability to go in and out.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
When you do come back in don't make a big fuss about it. Say hi, bring her out if you think she needs to go, and don't get her all excited and have big hellos. That just makes her anxious to see you arrive when you are gone.
========================================================

It can also be percieved as a reward for displaying separation anxiety,
and you don't want to start that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts