Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any volunteers to pull out a bajillion burrs of all shapes, sizes and forms from an adorable little puppy? She's a good kisser :)

No really, what is the best way of getting those terrible little suckers out without damaging the coat? :confused: I've got huge ones the size of large marbles entangled in her front feathers. Thank goodness there's only a few in the tail....

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Sometimes what has worked for me is to crush the burrs and then pick them out, followed by brushing and combing the remains out. I actually used pliers once to crush some really awful burrs.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Maybe spray some conditioner in her hair first, then try to brush them out?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
A little cowboy magic, patience, and a grooming rake is what I use. You can trap a bit of hair at a time with the rake, pick the burr out, and move on. I was able to get a ridiculous amount off of Comet in about 20 minutes that way.

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
The motel where we stayed on vacation a few weeks ago had a horrible sticker bush where the pups potty. Of course every single time Hudson went out there he ran right through it first thing:doh:. I did tell the management about it. Anyway we found that the easiest thing for us to do was just brush them out. He loved it. Hudson pulled me through it one morning and I got stickers all over my jammie pants. They did not come out as easily:(.

·
16,000 Posts
Crushing the burrs, as Linda suggests, and using a metal comb. You can dust a little good quality baby powder on small areas at a time which will help provide some "slip" so that the comb goes through without breaking the hair. Once you've got them all out, wash the tail - I mix shampoo into a bucket and gently swish the tail in the suds, and gently squeeze them through, then rinse well. Towel dry, then squeeze a small amount of a light conditioner or detangler/leave-in (Aussie Hair Insurance is a good one), and then dry.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I will remember this for next time, because undoubtedly, there will be a next time :uhoh: This was a first though for those really big, furry and sticky burrs several of which were stuck together and then entwined in her fur. Ugh. I do not like the sound of fur ripping when I am trying to pull the burrs out, and you better believe she was soaking wet on top of it from all of the swimming. :doh:

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Oakly is a magnet for burdocks and although I've see lots of tricks for removal here I usually just break them up and pull them out one tiny bit at a time. Then I finish with a slicker brush. I have to get them out of Oakly's coat quickly because he will chew them out if I don't. Caue's coat doesn't seem to pick them up much at all. The two of them will run the the same patch of low brush and Oakly will be encrusted and Caue will only have a couple in his butt feathers.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
My trick has always been "Pick the hair out of the burr, not the burr out of the hair" :)
Grab the burr and gently pull hair away from it till you can easily pull it away from the remaining few strands.

Oh, crushing the big ones is a great idea!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Oakly is a magnet for burdocks and although I've see lots of tricks for removal here I usually just break them up and pull them out one tiny bit at a time. Then I finish with a slicker brush. I have to get them out of Oakly's coat quickly because he will chew them out if I don't. Caue's coat doesn't seem to pick them up much at all. The two of them will run the the same patch of low brush and Oakly will be encrusted and Caue will only have a couple in his butt feathers.
Oakly's taking one for the team, going ahead and collecting all the ones he can so Caue doesn't get covered. Or maybe so he gets all the attention and brushing :p:

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
My trick has always been "Pick the hair out of the burr, not the burr out of the hair" :)
Grab the burr and gently pull hair away from it till you can easily pull it away from the remaining few strands.
That's better put than what I said, even though I was trying to explain the same thing. You hold the burr and separate hair out a bit at a time. You get very little breakage that way, and you're not pulling on the dog's skin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts