Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Coach's Holiday Surprise (Holly) came home with us yesterday at noon. It was a tough night to say the least. She couldn't put the leash and the walk outside in the cold freezing rain together with going to the bathroom so we had a few accidents - she also complained loudly about being crated so I go about four hours sleep. Today is much better - one accident and a lot of successful ventures outside to potty (I sound like a new dad - well, I am a new dad). Bonding with us (including our eight year old tabby, Charlie) quite nicely. Here is one of the photos - don't have time for much else now!

·
Kristy
10,429 Posts
Holly is just precious! You all must be having such a good time today :) I'm glad to hear that today is going a little more smoothly, my fingers will be crossed for you all to get a little more sleep tonite!

Please keep posting photos of Holly when you can and let us hear about her adventures... I don't have a golden right now and have to live vicariously through this site. Our new baby comes home two weeks from tomorrow, so I love hearing all the puppy stories on here.

:curtain: Normally I wouldn't give a "Gator" the time of day.... but I figure football season is over except for the bowl games :) (Are you UF Gator?) Plus, Holly's just too darn cute!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Welcome home Holly!

Love the name. When you catch up on your sleep, post more pics!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome Holly,

When you give your Daddy a break, maybe he can take more pictures of you to post for all of us. You are so pretty and love your name. Listen to your parents and have lots of fun, people do take alittle while to train but it is so worth it.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
welcome home, Holly! You are a adorable little girl! Tess says hello and she doesn't like to go potty in snowstorms either. She advises you to make a lot of noise and whine a lot, so your daddy will feel sorry for you and take you inside again.
What works very well with Tess, is tell her to 'hurry' when we are outside. When she goes potty, I tell her " good hurry" and praise her (and take her inside!!). The last few days, she goes fairly fast when I use 'hurry".

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Holly is a little sweetheart. Those first few days (and nights) are a challenge but it does get better I promise. Keep lots of really warm and easy to put on clothes right next to the door so you can prepare to go out quickly. Keep the pictures coming.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
She is an absolute doll! Hang in there. I thought those potty training days were going to last forever but looking back it really didn't seem bad at all. I hope she sleeps well for you tonight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
She is precious, I know cold and rain add an extra challenge to the training but good luck! Can't wait to see more pictures.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:curtain: Normally I wouldn't give a "Gator" the time of day.... but I figure football season is over except for the bowl games :) (Are you UF Gator?) Plus, Holly's just too darn cute!
Nope - no connection with UF. Always had an interest in real alligators (since I was a kid more years ago than I care to mention). Just use the name in various forums. Thanks for the comments.:wavey:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all - another rough night but I have had a golden puppy before so I know things will get better.:crossfing

I'll post more later.

·
Kristy
10,429 Posts
Oh no, poor Holly and poor Gator! I have to admit, when my golden, Baxter, died in October, I thought I could and should, wait till spring for a new puppy. That way I wouldn;t be potty training in the dead of winter. Of course my home is miserably empty without a 4-legged family member and I decided I couldn't wait and **** the consequences!

Now with the reality of below freezing temps and record rain, I'm thinking I'm nuts. I'm counting on the new puppy being so fluffy and cute I won't care how cold it is at 4 a.m. :)

Hope Holly has a better day today... please keep me aprised of her progress, I figure I will need all the tips I can get :) We need more photos when you get a chance :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts