Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently interested in getting two Male (pet quality) GR from a reputable breeder that has parents on some type of Holistic/Homepathic program and that also does not cater to all the so called vaccines (except those required by law).

Any suggestions ???

DB

·
Kate
20,449 Posts
Check Gaylans. ;)

Be very careful about getting too caught up about picking breeders who claim to have ultra healthy dogs because of raw food, titering, and who worm only when necessary. That's nice, but you want to make sure you have all the clearances and a breeder who will be there for you if anything goes wrong.

.... why would you want to get two puppies at the same time? o_O

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Megora and Steph,

Both very good suggestions for breeders. But both may have limited availabilities. I am actually looking to get one pup now and another in 6-8 months from the same breeder. Never two at the same time.

Any other suggestions or recomendations on Holistic/Homepathic Breeders ???

Raymond

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I'm guessing Alberta is too far away...

Keep in mind most reptuable breeders do not have more than one litter a year, usually. I know for some it's hard to find homes willing to keep up with the non-vax/raw diet thing too, so that plays into it. And some breeders (mine anyway) will NOT sell a puppy to a home with a dog under the age of 2, to ensure that each dog has enough time to grow up and get well trained/socialized with the humans in the household.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are there any holistic golden retriever breeders in the USA?

I know this is a canadian website so much here does not pertain to the USA.

Does anyone know of a USA golden retriever forum website would be helpful?

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,852 Posts
Are there any holistic golden retriever breeders in the USA?

I know this is a canadian website so much here does not pertain to the USA.

Does anyone know of a USA golden retriever forum website would be helpful?
Not sure what you're asking, the Site owners are based in Canada, however, we have members that participate on the board, post replies and start threads that are from the US, Canada, the UK, India, Australia and a few other countries.

Sorry OP to take your thread off topic to answer this question.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello , I am new to t.he forum but "old" to the breed. In 27 years with Golden's we have had 11litters ranging from a one pup litter to a twelve pup litter. We do not feed raw but a base diet of hi quality no grain which I then add human food to! We do minimal vaccinating, rarely use topicals and heartworm meds six or seven months of the year. We do full clearances and careful selection of titled studs. We are organic gardeners..no chemicals or pesticides.
At a recent pre breeding exam on our girl I was pushed to use Sentinal during my dogs pregnancy (never used the product before). I was pushed to use a Panacur worming protocol during her pregnancy and worm newborns. Her stool checks are negative..I don't like to worm unless I have positive reasons.

I am not sure who is a holistic breeder that can avoid all the advice given by vets. There are so many products that are pushed , so many vaccines it is a little difficult to choose the right path for your puppies. Our. Vets are so necessary but I do worry about overuse of some products on puppies..never mind adults!
Despite all our efforts to give our dogs the best possible environment and quality life we have lost many to cancer. The holistic approach is so worthy of seeking but it cannot prevent so many of the diseases we see in our dogs. I think there are many good breeders who try to walk the line between two approaches to puppy raising and do their very best by our dogs.
I would like to read other breeders thoughts on what if any "products" they give their girls during pregnancy. For now I am sticking to the no added anything approach I have always done for my beloved girls!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I've been breeding since the mid-70's. I don't consider myself holistic. I feed a good quality kibble with no history of recalls, raw bones regularly and raw or hardboiled fresh eggs when I can get them. I vaccinate minimally (every 3 to 4 years until about age 10) but I do vaccinate. I have seen dogs with distemper, lepto and parvo-too risky. I do not do lyme, corona or bordetella.

I don't xray my pregnant girls although I will usually do an ultrasound to confirm pregnancy and try to get a rough count.

I do use panacur during the pregnancy because I have had an issue with coccidia and whipworms in the past.

I use Interceptor from May though December for heartworm control, and Advantix from May through October for ticks if necessary, but nothing for the pregnant girls. Since the turkey flock has been coming around, the number of ticks has dropped (knock on wood!)

I never use pesticides or insecticides in my yard-and it shows ;) I have an RO under-sink thingy for water and I buy water at the grocery store for my dogs.

Puppies get their first vaccination, a puppy one, at 8 weeks of age, just before they go home. Worming is done as necessary.

I have been lucky as regards early cancer-knock on wood. Not to say it hasn't happened but overall I think longevity in my dogs has been good. And that isn't an accident. I really try to study pedigrees and talk to people, to learn as much as I can about health and longevity.

And I agree-there is no panacea or easy answer for this. I had a friend who was an evangelical convert to raw :) She gave it up in tears after losing two of her dogs to early cancer, in spite of being raw fed, minimally vaccinated and organic everything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a breeder of golden retrievers and have been since 2000. I have been raising my dogs holistically since 2006 and feed a raw diet, minimal vaccines, no toxic chemicals in or on my goldens. I do not use heart worm pills or toxic tick preventatives and follow my Holistic Vets guide lines in rearing healthy goldens.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
There is a website, Natural Rearing / BARF Breeder Directory
that lists naturally rearing breeders in the US/Canada.

I'm of the opinion that breeders who do not use HW protection are asking for trouble, and that the holistic mindset must be mixed with common sense. If one lives in an area with mosquitos, one should realize it's just a matter of time till one's dogs get deadly heart worms. I agree with the common sense methods Tahnee uses, they mirror my own methods, though I deworm all puppies at 2,4,6 and 8 weeks- many worms encyst in the mother's tissue and pass to the puppies in utero, 'waking up' in their lungs when they draw their first breath, and from there quickly make their home in puppies... any creature that has existed for centuries, indeed through all time, has a wonderful method for insuring survival- and worms fall into that category. Jean Dodd's vaccine protocol is a minimal method to follow that will keep one's animals from vaccinosis as well as disease. Look for a breeder who follows this protocol.
And of course- look for a breeder who has all 4 core clearances listed on OFA- whose cardiac exam was performed by a cardiologist, whose eye clearances are up to date. If that breeder claims to use Penn-Hip, see that the % is listed on OFA- the cost to list (and have it verified) is a mere $7.50 so there is no reason not to make results public and verifiable... and PH does not do elbows. DNA testing is icing on the clearance cake, and in some cases, is the only way to insure you're not producing disease affected puppies.
Lastly, whether you plan to show your dog or not- you want a breeder who competes in some venue. If a breeder does not show their own dogs, they have little comparison basis by which to judge what their own dogs are lacking (and all dogs lack somewhere- there are no perfect animals). For whether you are going to show yourself or not, you do want a dog that is breed standard correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts