Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In these tough times how much holiday are you given by your employer over the Christmas period

Is your company having a party for their employees or was that one of the cut backs.

Or has your employer rewarded you or doing something special even though times are tough.

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
At my work we are given 2 days off for Christmas and 2 days off for New Years.

So it worked out that we are shut down Thurs and Fri this week, and the same next week.

And everyone generally finds a way to save their vacation time for this year and extend their vacation. Like I have 3 weeks vacation every year and split that between Fourth of July vacation and Christmas. :)

@party - ugh. No. We had the last one of those 12 (or so) years ago. You have a lot of people showing up just to pick up their Christmas bonuses. Up through now we have a potluck for everyone and then we do a lot of special things for the employees through the holiday weeks. Like the vending machines are paid by the company and the employees get free snacks and coffees. We are also buying pizza for everyone a couple days during that time. The supervisors take their people out to lunch, or pay for lunches to be brought in. Things like that.

We don't do bonuses anymore. Haven't for the past 6 or 7 years. Instead we hand out gift cards (turkey bucks) and there are other things personally handed by the supervisors and managers for their own people.

^^^^ At this time, having a good job and knowing there is another year of steady employment ahead of you is worth the lack of bonuses or whatnot. :)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
We had an "eat out" holiday party (spouses included), then a little potluck in office, we got holiday bonuses, and we'll get the 24th, the 26th, and the 31st off. Pretty much status quo for us as business has been pretty decent.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
No Christmas party. We were given a $20 gift card to Target and a travel mug. My immediate supervisor gave everyone a small gift and we participated in a department Secret Santa.

We get the 26th and 2nd off...but it isn't paid.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being in a franchised car main dealer but not customer facing i am fortunate to have saved holiday. I am off 23rd of December to Jan the 3rd.

The rest of the guys are using holiday up as we are only closed Christmas day and Boxing day.

Between Christmas and New year car sales seem to be busy with people getting out and about.

Bonus NO, Christmas party booked for the 23rd, payrise next year NO.

Christmas card from the Boss man "No"

Still never mind, as we are always reminded you are lucky to have a job....

·
gone
1,443 Posts
^^^^ At this time, having a good job and knowing there is another year of steady employment ahead of you is worth the lack of bonuses or whatnot. :)
Can you PLEASE tell our Unions that? We see strike after strike by unionized employees wanting more and more and more.

I have 2 weeks off xmas thru NY's, start back same day as school Jan 9, since I'm a bus driver we get the same time off as the schools.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
When I was working we got a party and that was about it. My work was only closed Christmas Day so I usually worked Christmas eve until 5pm and I book Boxing day off as well as a couple days after that. I worked New Years.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
We have usually had a Christmas party, but that usually ends up being a big drunken mess, with people not showing up for work the next day, so this year there was no party. We all get bonuses, depending on how you have been doing, etc. My bonus is always smaller than the rest, since I'm the boss's daughter...I make up for it on Christmas Day :)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I just started my job a couple weeks ago, and all the staff got presents but I didn't... saaaad LOL oh well.

(I'm just glad I have a job)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My office is closed after Friday and then re-opens Jan 2nd. Paid time off. I usually top up to two weeks off to match hubby's but I have too much to do this year (boo!). I took a month off over the summer, so cannot complain.

We always do a putluck office Christmas party and never any bonuses as we are provincially funded and stuff like that is a no go when you run on taxpayers dollars :)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Today both my husband and I had pot luck lunches at each of our work places.
My director gave us each a "use anytime next year" paid day off card and $20.
Then we put together a holiday dinner complete with Santa and gifts for all the children for all the families our agency served this past year
My agency closes from Dec 24 through Jan 2.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We have a Christmas party at the local country club and get a day off for Christmas (if it's on a weekend like this year we get either friday or monday off). All 4 years I've been here we have gotten an extra day off as a "present" for our hard work...but they haven't sent out that notification this year yet so I'm guessing we don't get an extra day off.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm really fortunate where I work. We have 2 days off for Christmas (Friday and Monday) and we also get New Year's Day off. I saved enough vacation time that I will be off of work from Thursday the 22nd until Tuesday the 3rd. I guess long before I got here there were huge Christmas parties but now we get taken out to lunch with our respective teams. We don't get a Christmas bonus but around March we get our bonus for the previous year and I'm not going to complain about when I get it! The bonus is based on the company's performance and they have to have all the information in before they figure out what we get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts