Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight my wife and I with Amber arrived home from our trip to Gaithersburg VA to visit with family for two days and a few hours after arriving home I took Amber out for an early evening walk. We finished the walk and I began to brush Amber out. When she rolled on to her back so I could brush her belly I found a LOT of swollen red bumps all OVER the inside of her rear legs, in a line going up her belly, BUNCHES almost on top of each other on the inside of her front legs where they meet the chest and then a few here and there on her back, rear end, neck and head. I gave her 3 benedryl(she's 83 lbs of muscle) and the benedryl were 25mgs each. I'm HOPING this is just a case of hives from something she encountered during our visit. Maybe something they used to clean the bamboo floors with, or an allergy to the little dog they have, or something she may have eaten as this morning before we left she threw up a little bit with a few pieces of artificial tree needles(the small ones), or maybe something that was on the street that splashed up on her fropm walking after it rained? I know Amber was pretty anxious when going to bed last night and was panting and pacing around our guest room for an hour before I could convince her to lay down and sleep(first time she has ever slept anywhere but at home) even though the whole time there otherwise she was comfortable. Could she get hives from being anxious? Maybe from the 3 hour drive(longest ride shes had so far). I have to say I'm slightly beside myself since the first thing I thought of was lymes disease due to having had at least 30 deer ticks on her at the end of summer during the last month of warm weather. The rash looks and feels like small red pustules under the skin, some seem to have a slightly clear "tip" to them and some seem to have "weeped", possibly from scratching at them. It reminds me of what poison ivy looks/feels like only with larger "bumps". It's 1am and if the rash is still there in the am I'll be going to the vet for sure. Just hoping it's something that will be gone by morning. She's never had anything like this before. Any ideas?

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Dogs cannot get poison ivy, but they do get staph infections that look like you describe. I agree, some tick things create rashes and allergy hives too but hives don't usually"weep". Also,follicilitis occasionally(but rarely) can look like that and clears up with anitbiotics.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the rash did not clear up so off to the vets we went! One of the firt questions he asked was "was it hot in Md when you were there?" I was abit confuzzled but agreed that it was hot, around 73 degrees. The second question was "were there any bees around the area?". Normally there wouldn't be any bees around this time of year but due to the heat and the fact that my brother in law just cut a tree down with with a honeybee nest in while we were there. I know she was in the area the nest was cut into after the tree was cut down before I was aware of the bees being there. The vet figured she got stung and diddnt respond by yelping to let us know she was stung. I did notice she was licking her paws abit after that but assumed it was because I had wiped the mud off them. Needless to say, she has hives on her eyelids, face, head, belly/armpits(following the thyroid system), and all over her chest. He gave her a shot of vetalog(Panalog), steriods which he stated should reduce the swelling and hives reaction and to keep giving the benedryl as needed if she itches. Hopefully she'll started getting better soon, i feel so bad for the poor girl. Then an hour before the vet appointment, Amber was playing with the neighbors dog while we chatted in the yard and the two pups found a coyote den, managed to dig it out and roll in the feces. So I had to give her a bath before the appointment, which she seemed to really enjoy due to the cold water. So maybe I'll give her another cool water bath in the morning again if it's not gone by then.
Funny, I never thought of the bees as being a possibility, even as I lay in bed last evening awake trying to figure out what c ould have caused this reaction. Darned bees.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Benedryl is a wonderful antihistamine. 1 mg/pound is what I've been told...they do come in 25mgs, so 3 was just right. I hope Amber is feeling better now. Did you take any pictures of the bumps?

·
3 goldens
11,695 Posts
my buck was once sting on lip by groud wasp and hsi head and face swelled awful--trip to vet for same drugs you girl got. It took a few hours but he went back to normal.

then when he was about 10 1/2, he broke out much as you described on his tummy and inside his legs. I got him right to vet and he said it was "contact dermititis". Buck had gotten inside my fenced flower garden and liad in lantana., we think that was what caused the rash on him. Gain, the shots and soap to wash him with deaily and he was soon okay. He neve got in there againm, and never broke out againk so were are about 99% sure it was the lantana. Hope your girl is doing fine now.

by the way, my vet told me i could give 4 benadryl in emergency reaction.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy new years everyone! Amber is now doing much much better. I've had to give 3 benedryl three times per day and one quarter of an acepromazine tab at bedtime in order to keep her from nibbling at the hives on her legs. Each day it seems the size and amount of the hives has steadily decreased fortunately. I felt so bad for Amber having been sedated like this, she looked sooooooo sad with the droopy eyes. Today so far I just had to give her the benedryl an hour ago for the first time as she started nibbling again. The only problem with benedryl seems to be that it loosens her stools and with the amount she's had, she had one HUGE bout of explosive poops at one point today requring a trip to the bathtub for a rearend rinse. As far as photos of the hives I wish I could have but they were all under the fur and I couldn't really get any pictures. Alot seem to be scabbed over at this point as well for some reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts