Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, I joined this thread to check on any info on topic. I have 2-Goldens by same breeder, brother/sister, year and a half old. Female was showing signs of poor rear leg movement, stiff and sometimes dragging. Friend noticed she almost hopped. When the rear dragged during yard runs and excercise I took her to vet for xrays and blood work for lyme disease. Xrays showed poor bone growth and eval proved somewhat devastating. Both dogs have been excercised extensively. My weekends start and finish with the dogs regardless of the weather, and they always seem to thrive on it. Well, tomorrow I head down to Iowa State Vet Center for hip eval, and possibly hip replacement surgery. Not cheap, and the options are there, but this pup deserves to live without the pain associated with the disease. I know dogs can live with pain, but getting old myself, I figure she deserves all I can give at this early age. Drugs are only an option, sure they'd work, but I won't take them if at all possible...any of you decide against the surgery without any regrets?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sorry to hear about the hips.

I am always watching Clancy for any signs of HD. I've kept him active and slim but I don't know his parents history. But even a puppy born with parents who have cleared hip isn't guaranteed not to have problems.

I would probably spend the money on Clancy (more like borrow the money to spend) if I thought he was suffering and that the replacement would improve his quality of life. But if he was old, like 13 or more, I would have to think about what was best for him and how the operation would affect him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well.. depending when you started exercizing them extensively, that might have contributed? You shouldn't do too much forced exercized (ie. leash walks on concrete, hikes, etc) when the pup is young.

but i am sorry to hear about your pups hips, and hopefully all goes well for the pup, no matter your decision.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your dogs hips. But those types of surgeries are done regularly and usually without any complications, the recovering time is what must be monitored and limited exercise!!!

I am so glad that you are going thru with the surgery, our dogs are a family member and they rely on us to give them everything possible to have and wonderful life..

I wish you and your dog a great surgery and an easy recoving time, good luck and let us all know how it goes!!!!

KUDO TO YOU FOR BEING TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE!!!:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
My friend had a Golden that showed poor hips around 1-2 years. Then not too long after that her hips got better. She definitely had hip dysplasia, but it was not debilitating.

When our Charlie turned six years of age, he had tremoring in one of his rear legs. We had his legs x-rayed and found that he had severe hip dysplasia. I put him on glucosamine chondritin, and the tremoring went away. His hips never go so bad that he was disabled. We also gave him a supplement that releases calcium in his system.

Cheryl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts