Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed since our Harley was little he seemed to have a bit of a funny walk to him, maybe a bit of a waddle? While other dogs when walking may have their tails up in the air, it seems like Harley more or less tilted his pelvis towards the ground which in turn means his tail more or less lays down towards his legs.

Does anyone else seem to notice this with their goldens? Our other golden definitely didn't walk this way - she walked with her tail in the air.

I read a little bit about it, and it seems like it could be related to dreaded hip issues??

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
By tail in the air, do you mean straight up in the air? In the golden standard it states

"Tail -- well set on, thick and muscular at the base, following the natural line of the croup. Tail bones extend to, but not below, the point of hock. Carried with merry action, level or with some moderate upward curve; never curled over back nor between legs."

My take on that is that the base of the tail should be parallel to the ground and it should be carried anywhere from about 30 degrees above that parallel line to almost, but not quite straight down.

A tail that is carried more than about 45 degrees from the line parallel to the ground would be a "gay" tail and is not according to the standard.

If the tail is held straight down stiffly, he might be suffering from "dead" or "cold" tail, a temporary problem with the tail.

As to the waddle, a lot of Goldens have waddles, where their middles go from side to side. Is that what you mean? If so, he might be pacing, where the legs on one side move together. It is quite common--possibly a sign of not perfect confirmation--but should not be a problem.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Can you get a video of it so the vet can look at it?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Kirby and our first Golden Sunshine both had what I called a "wiggle" when they walk. Both dogs hips were very good, Kirby has great hips. But both had that "Marilyn Monroe" thing going. Darby doesn't so I just thought it was a "girlie" thing.

I bet it's nothing but if your concerned talk to your vet.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Does he walk the same way when he's off leash? Rookie paces a bit when he's on leash and we're headed towards the park. It is a very unattractive waddle. In his case, it's because he's excited about going to the park and I don't walk fast enough for him. He wants to go faster but he knows he can't pull on the leash, so he has a very awkward walk. He is actually pacing me. As soon as the leash comes off he moves beautifully.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for those who gave a little input, and for bumping it back up! When Harley gets neutered (just after 1 yr of age), we are planning to do hip xrays. And as a puppy we were trying to keep him from doing a lot of jumping, we kept him from stairs for the first few months (once we let him do them he literally would go up & down, up & down - it was such a novelty!), not a lot of running. Now that's he's 8 months, we've been playing a lot more ball (meaning running) and while overall he seems good with his hips - he doesn't favor one side, he doesn't get stiff, etc, he does have that funny little waddle and always did.

I guess I'll just have to be patient until he gets his x-rays, but I at least appreciate hearing from those of you whose goldens also have a funny little walk. It keeps me a bit sane for the next 4 mths :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, one more thing - thanks mdoats for that idea about the leash. When he's off the leash he does not seem to walk that way - at least it's not as noticible as I've been really paying attention to it lately. On the leash, it almost reminds me of him trying to slow himself down, and if I would let him run ahead he would be walking normally. So that sounds very similar to what you experienced with Rookie!

He does run normally, too - a very pretty run if I do so say...

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
If he was running on grass and not concrete, I am sure that would not hurt his hips. Some goldens are more wiggly when they walk, I know my Bama has a wiggle like a girl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts