Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaizer is 4.5 years old and I finally got his hips and elbows x-rayed. I was going to do it when he turned 2, but he got sick and then had all those vet bills and I had to re-prioritize. Now that we haven't had a super expensive vet bill in a couple months (lol), I decided now would be a good time.

I kinda had a gut feeling that his hips weren't great, so I would not be surprised if they came back rated mild. I've noticed that he kinda walks odd, but only sometimes and it's so slight that no one else really notices - my agility instructor is also a certified vet rehab practitioner/dog fitness enthusiast, so I asked her to check him out. She said he was doing "something" when he walked but couldn't tell exactly what he was doing or why he did it because it wasn't happening consistently enough to identify. Sometimes after more strenuous physical activity, I noticed he would be kinda stiff/sore the next day. I chalked it up to him not being used to that much exercise, but I started him on Dasuquin anyway and he hasn't had an obvious stiffness issue since. I don't really know what I'm looking for in the x-ray, but his hip sockets look off to me and I don't think his ball joint fits as tightly into the socket as OFA wants (think they want 50% coverage of the joint by the socket).

I'm curious to hear your thoughts! I think my vet sent me a picture of their screen, but it should be more visible if you zoom. I did not crop because sometimes that can make the picture look fuzzier (imo anyway).

·
Kate
20,697 Posts
Hips look fine. I think Good - maybe excellent? Lots of coverage that I can see?

Elbows... there's a little fuzziness that catches my eyes on both elbows.... but I'm unsure if that's just the quality of the images or....? I suspect it's just the images and defer to somebody else on that. Left elbow more than right. Could be more wear because he is a middle aged dog who has been active and doing agility? Maybe...

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t understand elbow x-rays at all (not sure what I’m looking for), so I can’t even pretend to know. Truthfully I do not know what to think about his hips either - I feel like they look different every time I look at those x-rays! I wish they were a little clearer.

Megora - it’s funny that you called him middle aged. I have such a hard time remembering that he isn’t 2 years old anymore, he is still such an enthusiastic and bouncy dog. He‘s basically a giant puppy with some manners.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
I think he will get a good. The right elbow has something going on, dk what but I'll look forward to hearing how they are rated.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do his hip sockets not look off to you guys? They almost look flattened/squarish to me.

I think I see what you mean with his right elbow - is it the part Megora circled? It’s kinda ironic that I was concerned about his hips, but its his elbows that might be an issue. He’s never had an issue with his front legs.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Nope= they look fine! And yes- it is a notch that shouldn't be there on the elbow. Hope for a half sleepy ortho to see them lol..

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did some googling of elbow x-rays - looks like that notch is about where his anconeal process is. So maybe UAP even though the anconeal process looks fused to the ulna to me.

Either way, OFA will let me know for sure. 2020 is turning out to be a huge exercise in patience LOL.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,511 Posts
I'm thinking good. MAYBE excellent. The hips look like good coverage of both ball joint and fairly deep into the socket. The one elbow (left one) looks like it doesn't have quite the same coverage of the ball (the bottom area of the ball in the image) but still look pretty good to me though. They will pass

1 - 10 of 10 Posts