Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
this is sorta random but wouldn't make the research easier to follow families as Point of Gold mentioned.

Finding dogs with HD - you need dogs without for comparison research to find the genetic issue correct? HD also is not necessarily an all have it issue as well--just like humans. I'd be curious to know the ratios boys vs gals on this front in dogs. In humans gals tend to have it more often and it could be hormone related as well (moms that is to baby during pregnancy). Genetics does play a role in humans but it's not necessarily always a factor. So finding the genetic issue in the dog that has it already -- I'm not clear what your looking for.

What will this DNA sample lead to, pre screening for insurance if you pet has this possible swab find -- no insurance? Breeders having puppies that test positive and put them down...what are you doing with the DNA findings?

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
this is sorta random but wouldn't make the research easier to follow families as Point of Gold mentioned.

Finding dogs with HD - you need dogs without for comparison research to find the genetic issue correct? HD also is not necessarily an all have it issue as well--just like humans. I'd be curious to know the ratios boys vs gals on this front in dogs. In humans gals tend to have it more often and it could be hormone related as well (moms that is to baby during pregnancy). Genetics does play a role in humans but it's not necessarily always a factor. So finding the genetic issue in the dog that has it already -- I'm not clear what your looking for.

What will this DNA sample lead to, pre screening for insurance if you pet has this possible swab find -- no insurance? Breeders having puppies that test positive and put them down...what are you doing with the DNA findings?
Hi Noey,

Good questions and thank you for your comment. I can reply to your answer as to what we are doing with the DNA but honestly it will take up a good portion of the thread. I'm assuming you what full elaboration as to what the sample is used for rather than the short hand version.

Follow the link below on our page. This gives you more of a breakdown about what the sample is used for, and how it is used. It also gives more information about the research company we are partnered with.

Follow this link and click "click here" at the bottom of the page where it say "For further Information" please.

Golden or Labrador Retrievers with Hip Dysplasia | Animal Clinical Investigation

·
16,000 Posts
Hi Noey,

Good questions and thank you for your comment. I can reply to your answer as to what we are doing with the DNA but honestly it will take up a good portion of the thread. I'm assuming you what full elaboration as to what the sample is used for rather than the short hand version.

Follow the link below on our page. This gives you more of a breakdown about what the sample is used for, and how it is used. It also gives more information about the research company we are partnered with.

Follow this link and click "click here" at the bottom of the page where it say "For further Information" please.

Golden or Labrador Retrievers with Hip Dysplasia | Animal Clinical Investigation

This doesn't elaborate at all as to what the goal is - what are you hoping to do with results? The link above only indicates that the DNA will be assessed. I think Noey is asking if the intention is to find a marker so that dogs can be tested for the HD gene? Will pet insurance companies look at a dog who carries it as uninsureable? Is a pharma company thinking about a vaccine against it? Those are, I believe the sort of anwers that are being looked for.

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This doesn't elaborate at all as to what the goal is - what are you hoping to do with results? The link above only indicates that the DNA will be assessed. I think Noey is asking if the intention is to find a marker so that dogs can be tested for the HD gene? Will pet insurance companies look at a dog who carries it as uninsureable? Is a pharma company thinking about a vaccine against it? Those are, I believe the sort of anwers that are being looked for.
We have no interest in releasing the results to prevent pet owners from having insurance or obtaining insurance. We only care to aid medicinal uses, develop vaccines, and help identify much earlier, those that may be susceptible to this disorder or even prevention.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
We have no interest in releasing the results to prevent pet owners from having insurance or obtaining insurance. We only care to aid medicinal uses, develop vaccines, and help identify much earlier, those that may be susceptible to this disorder or even prevention.
so will you do genetic testing in utero? or try to rule out all dogs even if HD can be a one-off - meaning not everyone gets it. OR developing something to give them to help development to reduce the risk. I could see if hormones contribute trying to figure out that...I'll jump over and read your page later this evening. Thanks for the response.

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Thank you for those who have inquired about the sample collection study pertaining to Hip Dysplasia. We are still actively seeking volunteers who would like to participate in our sample collection study. We have had questions about those that have undergone FHO surgery (Femoral Head Osteotomy). We are accepting those that have had this surgery as well.

Please feel free to contact us at [email protected], give us a call at 202-362-4323, visit us on Facebook at Animal Clinical Investigation, LLC - Info | Facebook or visit our website at Open Trials | Animal Clinical Investigation

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Animal Clinical Investigation would like to take this time to thank multiple GRCA Clubs and their Rescues and Labrador Retriever Clubs and their Rescues for participating in our DNA Sample Colleciton Study for Hip Dysplasia.

Labrador Friends of the South
Labrador Friends of the South Inc.

Rescue for Life Labradors
Rescue For Life

Kara & The SunKissed Goldens
SunKissed Golden Retrievers

GRRAND
GRRAND

Labrador Retriever Rescue
Labrador Retriever Rescue of DC/MD/VA/PA - LRR

Ohio Labrador Retriever Rescue Services
Ohio Labrador Retriever Rescue Services

Everglades Golden Retriever Inc
Everglades Golden Retriever Rescue, Inc.

Central Michigan Labrador Rescue
Central Michigan Labrador Rescue Network, Inc.

NORCAL Golden Retriever Rescue
NORCAL Golden Retriever Rescue

Georgia Lab Rescue
www.petfinder.com/shelters/georgialabrescue.html

Golden Retriever Rescue of Southern Maryland
golden retriever rescue of southern maryland

Faragold Gold Retrievers
www.dhtestweb.com

Grampianlabs
Grampian Labradors

Keepsake Labradors
www.keepsakelabs.com

Ashridge
www.ashridgelabradors.com
(was willing to participate)

Red River
www.redriverkennel.com

Dutch Hollow
Dutch Hollow Labradors

Black Rock Labradors (was willing to participate)

Lachlan
www.lachlanlabs.com

Along with this list of organizations there are a host of individuals nationwide that have particpated in this sample collection study. We are still collecting samples from those that have been affected by this condition. Please help us help you and future pet owners. Just contact Derrick Carter @ [email protected] or post here and we can discuss how to get you a kit.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.