Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hip Dysplasia is an abnormal formation of the hip socket, that in its most severe form, can eventually cause crippling lameness and painful arthritis of the joints. Triple Pelvic Osteotomy (TPO) and Total Hip Replacement (THR) are two of the most common procedures performed for dogs with severe Hip Dysplasia.

A new study has opened for Golden or Labrador Retrievers with Hip Dysplasia.

The current study focuses on collecting a saliva sample and buccal (cheek) swabs from an estimated 250 “Purebred” Golden Retrievers and 250 “Purebred” Labrador Retrievers that have hip dysplasia and have had previously performed TPO or THR surgery. The samples will be used to assess the DNA from these dogs. Does your pet meet this criteria? Do you know of someone who's pet might meet this criteria? Find out how you could help and do your part to prevent this genetically linked disorder.

:) This thread has been approved and can be used for FAQ's, posts, and or comments. :)

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your comment.

If I understand your comment correctly the DNA will be apart of a data base. The DNA will be extracted which contains the heredity code. These codes will be compared for each dog from the same breed who has an inherited disorder. These codes will be used to compare against dogs who are considered healthy. This allows research scientists to pinpoint the causative mutation. The identity of this mutation is key as it allows for a DNA test to be developed that will help breeders screen their bloodlines.

I hope this answers your question. If not please let me know and I can try to elaborate more.

Please feel free to visit animalci.com for more information about this Clinical Trail or any other trails that are available with us.

·
16,000 Posts
Thank you for your comment.

If I understand your comment correctly the DNA will be apart of a data base. The DNA will be extracted which contains the heredity code. These codes will be compared for each dog from the same breed who has an inherited disorder. These codes will be used to compare against dogs who are considered healthy. This allows research scientists to pinpoint the causative mutation. The identity of this mutation is key as it allows for a DNA test to be developed that will help breeders screen their bloodlines.

I hope this answers your question. If not please let me know and I can try to elaborate more.

Please feel free to visit animalci.com for more information about this Clinical Trail or any other trails that are available with us.

I guess my question is why DNA samples from animals that have had the surgeries? Why not simply dogs that have been dx'd with HD? (Surgery obviously doesn't change the DNA...)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Maybe... because the surgery sort of solidifies the dog's Dx of hip dysplasia? My reason seems sort of silly though, as I feel xrays can do the same thing. I figured they were looking for a particular marker in DNA but the surgery component of it is a bit befuddling (I am not criticizing the OP at all, promise! :))

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason being is we (ACI and the sponsor) are looking for cases that are considered most severe. Unfortunately those cases would be those that go to surgery. We are looking for apporx. 250 Goldens and 250 Labradors. As time progress we may reduce the requirements to attract enrollment.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Too bad you don't take mixes. I have a lab/golden mix who had severe HD diagnosed at 4 months old. But she also had an FHO which is one of the things you aren't looking for surgery-wise.

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are now accepting all cases of Hip Dysplasia. Please contact [email protected] on how to be involved or [email protected]. You can also visit our website at Golden or Labrador Retrievers with Hip Dysplasia | Animal Clinical Investigation click "click here" at the bottom of the page for more information.

FAQ's

-How do I get involved?
Simply contact [email protected] or [email protected] or reply to this thread.

-Then what?
We will gather some information from you and will mail you a sample collection kit. The kit is very simple to use and has everything you need inside.

-What do I do once I have the kit?
The kit provides everything you need plus more information about why the sample is needed, what to do once the sample has been collected, and what we do with the sample. This information can also be answered by simply asking us here in this forum.

-I have collected the sample, now what?
Simply drop it in the mai.

-Do I have to pay for anything?
No, we provide everything you need and the kit has a round trip postage on it already.

Easy as 1,2,3

Again please feel free to contact us at anytime or reply to this post.

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too bad you don't take mixes. I have a lab/golden mix who had severe HD diagnosed at 4 months old. But she also had an FHO which is one of the things you aren't looking for surgery-wise.
Fostermom, thank you for your interest. I will look further into your comment to see if we are accepting your special breed since we are looking for Goldens and Labradors.

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Too bad Im in the UK, my poor pooch is heading for surgery very soon :( I'll be very interested to see how these results pan out, thanks for posting:)
Perdie I'm sorry to hear that about your pet. We may be able to accomodate your location. Would you be interested in participating if we are? May I ask what type of surgery your pet is having? If you feel more comfortable speaking directly with me please feel free to email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I am glad you are doing the research because there may come a time when they will be able to determine by DNA tests which dogs should be bred. My 34 year old son has been in a blood pressure study since he was 6 where over all those years they have tested his blood pressure, collected his urine, blood, and DNA. Just scientists doing what they do.

·
16,000 Posts
I am not a scientist, nor do I play one on TV, but if you are attempting to identify a marker, or if HD is hereditary (I might be missing what the purpose is) wouldn't it behoove you to collect from families? And, dogs dx'd whether surgically repaired or not?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't see what difference it makes.... you have 2 dogs, they both have hip displaysia. Whether the dogs had the surgery or not, they still have hip displaysia. A DNA sample from a dog that had the surgery vs. a dog that didn't have the surgery shouldn't make a difference either way. You're still getting DNA from a dog that had it. So either way seems ok to me

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't see what difference it makes.... you have 2 dogs, they both have hip displaysia. Whether the dogs had the surgery or not, they still have hip displaysia. A DNA sample from a dog that had the surgery vs. a dog that didn't have the surgery shouldn't make a difference either way. You're still getting DNA from a dog that had it. So either way seems ok to me
Hi ActionJackson,

When we posted our sample collection study we were originally looking for Goldens or Labs that has undergone TPO or THR surgeries, but we are now accepting all cases of confirmed Hip Dysplasia. We have since updated our thread.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My dog will be having a double femural excision 6 weeks apart, when I get the guts to put him through it:(
I dont know what a TPO is...
My Jamie's HD, on xrays, is considered a 5 on a 1-10 scale. The xrays show malformation of the femural head &on one side a tilt in the hip with a malformed socket also. Over the past week he has been sick due to his medication, the vet also believes the pain is more significant than we first thought so rather than keep putting him through all the different meds surgery is a better option. I'd be happy to take part if we're what you are looking for.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hi ActionJackson,

When we posted our sample collection study we were originally looking for Goldens or Labs that has undergone TPO or THR surgeries, but we are now accepting all cases of confirmed Hip Dysplasia. We have since updated our thread.
Makes sense. Thanks for responding. Curious to see what the results of this study will be

·
Animalci
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My dog will be having a double femural excision 6 weeks apart, when I get the guts to put him through it:(
I dont know what a TPO is...
My Jamie's HD, on xrays, is considered a 5 on a 1-10 scale. The xrays show malformation of the femural head &on one side a tilt in the hip with a malformed socket also. Over the past week he has been sick due to his medication, the vet also believes the pain is more significant than we first thought so rather than keep putting him through all the different meds surgery is a better option. I'd be happy to take part if we're what you are looking for.
Perdie,

A TPO is Triple Pelvic Osteotomy. This is an unfortunate situation. We are sorry to hear your pet is having such a hard time. We primarily deal with Oncology cases so we understand how difficult it can be to have a pet in distress.

If you are interested in participating I just need you to simply email the study coordinator at [email protected] at your earliest convenience so we can get a sample collection kit out to you. You are out of the country so it may take a while for you to receive your sample kit. The kit is pre-paid so all you have to do is receive, collect, and drop in mail :)

We look forward to hearing from you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.