Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably worry just for nothing, but I am just wondering what were the earliest sign of hip dysplasia you noticed in your puppy?

Is it normal for a puppy to get up and stretch first (as humans often do in the morning)? She does this when she gets up but just one time and then she walks just fine.

Bailey is also many times sitting very funny, is it normal that they are not sitting symmetrical? It's like one of her hips, mostly the right side is lower and goes to the inside and her paw slides to the outside.. or is it just our tile which is slippery? But it happens only with the right hip. I don't have a picture of it, but will try taking one today.

Other than that she's walking fine and she loves to play fetch and runs after the ball each time.

She also loves to run around with my 3 year old son and usually when he comes down, she takes a toy in her mouth and that's ther way of saying come and run. We taught her to take a toy in her mouth when she runs with him, because if she has no toy she will nip at him.

I noticed during the last two walks she was laying down two times on the grass, so I thought mabye the two walks mostly on pavement (each like 1.5 miles approx) were too long, so I cut back and now do one walk a day and more play and exercise time inside.

She's very hyper and during classes she was hopping and jumping around like a bunny when the instructor walked towards us... most other puppies were just mellow...

Maybe I am just paranoia about my little girl!

Attachments

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,684 Posts
From your description, she is probably fine :) Puppies often sit one sided (in obedience it is referred to as the puppy sit/squat) and stretching is completely normal.

If she was dysplatic you would most likely know it; stiffness, too much movement in the hip; discomfort and not wanting to play. You can give your vet a call if you think you might have a problem.

And yes, goldens often hop around and try to greet people by jumping - mellow they are not LOL They need to be taught how to greet politely

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Ditto the above. Stretching is normal, as is the off-to-one-side "puppy sit".

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
I've been wondering this too!! Oscar does very similar things as your description of Bailey (and they look so much alike!!) Especially the "puppy sit". The Golden puppy of the same age in our puppy class doesn't sit that way, but I guess Oscar is much skinnier...that other pup is kind of a chunker... ;) Oscar seems "all leg" right now.

Your girl is gorgeous & it sounds like nothing is wrong, so yay! :D

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts

Bailey is also many times sitting very funny, is it normal that they are not sitting symmetrical? It's like one of her hips, mostly the right side is lower and goes to the inside and her paw slides to the outside.. or is it just our tile which is slippery? But it happens only with the right hip. I don't have a picture of it, but will try taking one today.
Do you mean like this? Yea, I think it's normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The streaching when waking is normal as others have said.
Honey was diagnosed at 7 months with H/D (she just seemed a little stifff) it was not genetic we and the vet beleive (hip scores of parents were excellent) it was due to a trauma, I know that their are a lot (most) of members that have way more experience than I have or would ever have but if you are worried take your pup to the vet just for your peace of mind just a simple test of joint movement by a qualified vet will tell you if there is an initial problem and will put your mind to rest, if then the vet has concerns they will do xrays. But I am sure Bailey is fine.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Puppies sit like total dorks all the time!

ALL five of my dogs and my cat stretch, yawn, roll around, stretch forward, stretch backwards (like bowing), and so forth every morning- and every one of them except the 12 year old Whippet and the 5 month old GSD has been checked (X rayed, hips awesome). Whippets don't get HD, and the Shepherd goes next month for his X ray, but I am not worried :)

She is adorable!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts