Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what all the different types of hip clearances were? I know there is OFA and PennHIP, but are there any other acceptable ones? I have seen BVA, OVC and FCI as well on k9data, but haven't heard of them elsewhere. Are these acceptable clearances? Also the only one I can find with a database is OFA, do any of the others have public databases? THANKS, Golden:)

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
For most litters born in the USA from American dogs, OFA is the gold standard. Pennhip is another one some breeders embrace. OVC is what used to be Canada's, and the others are from different countries abroad. In general, you want to be able to verify the clearance independently of what you are told.

·
OTCH Wannabes!
3,088 Posts
Thanks Ljilly28. Are there databases for the any other than the OFA's?
I'm not sure what you are trying to ask here, but OFA is more commonly used in the US. PennHIP is used somewhat, but mainly for hips. OFA's database posts the clearances done on dogs that have passed the eye,heart, hip, and elbow. They also include DNA bank information. They do thyroid as well, but thyroid is a useless test in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
OVC has a database, but you must know the Dog's clearance number, not registration number, to look up results. OVC stopped accepting X-rays on Oct 31, 2011. Dogs had to be 18 mths and they did only hips and elbows. Also, OVC, only gave a pass/fail result. OVC stands for Ontario Veterinary College, in Canada.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts