Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've had Tucker on the lamb recipe of Hills science diet for a few months now and he seems to enjoy it. However I was wondering which of the two were better for the dogs overall health and growth. I noticed Purina has a higher protein content and that a lot of people on here recommend it.
Tucker is 8 months BTW and around 60-65lb :)
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,668 Posts
I prefer the Purina Pro Plan formulas over the Hills Science Diet. Many members are feeding the Large Breed Puppy formula to pups while other members are feeding various PPP Adult formulas.

My 10 yr. old boy eats the PPP for Sensitive Skin and Stomach and has done very well on it.

·
Registered
13,288 Posts
Hills just issued a voluntary recall of some of its canned products, but I think you are talking about kibble you are feeding. But here's the link anyway:
https://www.hillspet.com/productlist

I feed PP SSS, too (Sensitive Skin and Stomach, salmon based). It works great for my dog. But I am a believer in feed what works best for your dog. If your dog is thriving on the Hills, don't change what's not broken. But if you feel there is room for improvement, PP is a good food to try. My dog did really well on the chicken and rice (non-shredded formulas), too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Apollo is on the lambs large breed puppy Science Diet too. If your dog is doing well on it, why switch? It's a reputable brand, they do feeding trials on their food, it's formulated by qualified animal nutritionists, etc. And so is Purina! Personally, I think they're equal in terms of quality, so no need to switch if your pup is doing well. Especially since sometimes switching foods can actually cause digestive issues if you do it too quickly.

Apollo will be one very soon, and we are considering switching him to Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach once we move him to adult food just to vary his proteins a bit since he's been on the lamb for many months, but we've also just considered sticking with the adult version of what he's on since it's working well for him.

·
Registered
922 Posts
We feed Hills Science Large Breed Puppy Chicken and our girl has done really well on it. Her coat is so soft and shiny. She just turned a year old today so we're going to start switching her to the adult version over the next few weeks.

Our vet recommends Hills but I don't think you can go wrong with Hills or Purina Pro Plan because as others have mentioned they both have the resources to employee veterinary nutritionists, do long term studies and serious quality control. Small companies just don't have the resources to do those things.

·
Ann
385 Posts
I feed our 6 mos old ProPlan Savor for Puppies (chicken). I love the natural probiotic and Bear has done really well on it. Once he turns one, I’ll probably give him ProPlan Focus for large breeds. It has glucosamine and natural probiotics. Our vet also approves.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I raised my Pemi that passed at 13 1/2 yrs old. We fed him Science Diet dry his whole life as well as his breeder did. He have a good healty life. No issues with coat,hips,etc. Our new Golden pup is on Lifes Abundance from the breeder but we'll wean him off starting next week to Science Diet again. I'm not paying twice the money for food that probably can't beat Science Diet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts