Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm going to take my pups for their first hike this weekend. I live in the Southern California area (Los Angeles), and I wanted to ask folks here about hiking, dogs and ticks.

I have my pups on Revolution, and I have never had an issue with fleas to date. Revolution does protect against deer ticks, and I just want to protect my pups against those nasty ticks!

For the people who hike a good amount with their dogs....have you had any major issues with ticks? I'm going to keep my dogs on the paths as much as I can, and hope that Revolution does its job well.

After my hike is done, I will check their bodies for any new "friends" that might be trying to go home with us! Any feedback will be helpful

Regards,
Timothy

P.S. Oh I plan on going hiking at least 2 to 3 times a month, and I will test for lyme disease in about a month or so to make sure nothing happens to my pups.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,269 Posts
Where are you going? That makes a difference. We live in Orange County, and have never had a problem with ticks when hiking.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Just remember that ticks can hide really well, so you might want to do a recheck before bedtime to catch any of the stragglers. I usually find any leftover ticks by massaging Cookie with my fingers, which she does not mind. :)

One of these is a good tool to keep in your pocket too:
Protick remedy

It is my favorite tool for removing embedded ticks, and mine has lasted for almost 10 years.

Have fun!

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Reactions: Melfice

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Ticks are out! Little tiny ones. I pulled three off Maddie as they were crawling around two days ago. We had gone on a short hike up Parma Park. The rain brings them out.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what you meant to post... but Revolution does NOT do deer ticks, only the dog tick is it labeled for. I'm not sure how prevalent tick borne diseases are in your area, but back home in Virginia where I'm from, they are a large problem. I still use frontline without a problem but others have switched to Vectra 3D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is Lyme an issue here in CA? Or just near the LA area? It was a huge deal for dogs and people in Boston where we previously lived; our female dog contracted lyme once and luckily was treated successfully with abx. We used to do family tick checks, pets and people, all the time. But where we live in CA (eastern Sierra, so other side and higher up than you all) both the pediatrician and the vet said not to worry about it; there are a few ticks but no lyme to speak of and the few odd tick borne diseases you can get are extremely rare. Our vet said we didn't need to bother with Frontline or anything for our previous dogs or for Molly, which personally I think is awesome, since I don't like the stuff. Maybe we are just lucky. We do have hantavirus up here though...although I don't think dogs can catch it.

Heather

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I just picked a deer tick off Fiona a few days ago. That is with a snow pack on the ground and having well below freezing temps for a while now.

A dog we walk with is being treated for Lyme, she was diagnosed with a few weeks ago. No month of the year is considered safe here, we have very hearty immune to almost everything ticks. :(

Thankfully our ticks are not immune to being chopped in half with a utility knife, being splattered with a hammer, using a blowtorch until their evil little bodies pop, crushed in a vise, or slow suffocation in a jar amongst many other methods of torture I have joyfully used on them over the decades..

Brush daily and keep a keen eye out for anything that looks like a speck of dirt on them while out walking.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is Lyme an issue here in CA? Or just near the LA area? It was a huge deal for dogs and people in Boston where we previously lived; our female dog contracted lyme once and luckily was treated successfully with abx. We used to do family tick checks, pets and people, all the time. But where we live in CA (eastern Sierra, so other side and higher up than you all) both the pediatrician and the vet said not to worry about it; there are a few ticks but no lyme to speak of and the few odd tick borne diseases you can get are extremely rare. Our vet said we didn't need to bother with Frontline or anything for our previous dogs or for Molly, which personally I think is awesome, since I don't like the stuff. Maybe we are just lucky. We do have hantavirus up here though...although I don't think dogs can catch it.

Heather
CA as a state is low risk, but I still want to protect all I can. Thanks for the info, and I will talk to my vet about cases of lyme in this area etc

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure if this is what you meant to post... but Revolution does NOT do deer ticks, only the dog tick is it labeled for. I'm not sure how prevalent tick borne diseases are in your area, but back home in Virginia where I'm from, they are a large problem. I still use frontline without a problem but others have switched to Vectra 3D
Yep you are right my bad. I'm going to switch to Vectra 3D because of the hiking. Revolution is awesome against fleas, but it's not the best for ticks just like you said here.

Thanks everyone for your replies and tips :)

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went on our first of many hikes this past weekend. No ticks or fleas were found :)

Well So Cal area has been real dry so I think that helps a lot, but rain is coming tho. So that might make a difference, but my pups LOVED going on a hike!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay, I can't resist. I live in Alaska so we don't have ticks or fleas. Bears and moose yes, little bitty things no. I love hiking with my beautiful 4 year old Grover, but hard to get him not to run up and bark at moose. (Still trying to figure out how to post a photo of my gorgeous guy

·
Sheila 91-99; Haley 01-12
1,301 Posts
Okay, I can't resist. I live in Alaska so we don't have ticks or fleas. Bears and moose yes, little bitty things no. I love hiking with my beautiful 4 year old Grover, but hard to get him not to run up and bark at moose. (Still trying to figure out how to post a photo of my gorgeous guy
We don't have fleas or ticks either, at high altitudes. We're also short on moose, but we have an abundance of coyotes, I'm sorry to say. Well, not too many at high altitudes, but there are a few even there.

One way to post a photo is as an attachment to a post. Click the Manage Attachments button and go from there. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
My dog got a tick on her last January on a week that was in the negative digits . She got it the day I took her around the block, which was the only "warm" one, roughly 30 degrees.

The hiking trails around here definitely have some ticks to watch out for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My dog had a tick on him last January as well, even though it was below freezing. I thought they died in the winter, but apparently not. Thankfully, it wasn't embedded.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
They come out on sunny days! All winter long, mine have protection year round as we hike in the woods daily!

·
Registered
142 Posts
All,

I'm going to take my pups for their first hike this weekend. I live in the Southern California area (Los Angeles), and I wanted to ask folks here about hiking, dogs and ticks.

I have my pups on Revolution, and I have never had an issue with fleas to date. Revolution does protect against deer ticks, and I just want to protect my pups against those nasty ticks!

For the people who hike a good amount with their dogs....have you had any major issues with ticks? I'm going to keep my dogs on the paths as much as I can, and hope that Revolution does its job well.

After my hike is done, I will check their bodies for any new "friends" that might be trying to go home with us! Any feedback will be helpful

Regards,
Timothy

P.S. Oh I plan on going hiking at least 2 to 3 times a month, and I will test for lyme disease in about a month or so to make sure nothing happens to my pups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
441 Posts
checking for ticks

Just remember that ticks can hide really well, so you might want to do a recheck before bedtime to catch any of the stragglers. I usually find any leftover ticks by massaging Cookie with my fingers, which she does not mind. :)

One of these is a good tool to keep in your pocket too:
Protick remedy

It is my favorite tool for removing embedded ticks, and mine has lasted for almost 10 years.

Have fun!
If hiking and concerned about ticks, check the dogs real good as soon as you get in. They will be on the top coat at this point and easy to spot on a Golden. Look real good and then do a look/feel pass all over the dog. Ticks love to move toward the head. I would say 90% of the ticks I would pull off of my past 3 Goldens ••when I had a dog ••
where on the front of the dog. I live in a super high tick environment in New York.
HTH

dlm ny country

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
In Maine, I fight a constant battle against the ticks, even to the point of finding them on myself bc the dogs sleep with me and we hike daily. One thing my vet and I both do is keep doxy on hand for both dogs and humans- if anyone canine or otherwise has an embedded tick, they get a single dose of doxycycline prophylactically . Columbia University researched this, and it seems like a good Hail Mary pass for halting some of the tick disease process before it starts. My pet dogs are on Bravecto( even though it scares me) and my intact dogs are on frontline plus.

All,

Regards,
Timothy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts