Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I wanted to take our dog on a hike this weekend and she is 6 months old! The hike is a total of 6 miles and considered "moderate". Think its okay?
Thanks!
k

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Have you been together on similar but shorter walks/hikes?

Even at 14 months old I don't think Tomo will have the stamina and focus to hike for this length. We have been going on 30 minute "hike walks" this week and it's probably only a mile due to the time he needs to settle down and not pull, lots of sniffing time, interspersed with some training (come back, stay close, wait while someone passes, etc). He is a fairly lazy dog though haha.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Sounds long to me. Mine is six months and we go for two walks which total about two miles. We play also — fetch, tug, and learn tricks and skills.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you been together on similar but shorter walks/hikes?

Even at 14 months old I don't think Tomo will have the stamina and focus to hike for this length. We have been going on 30 minute "hike walks" this week and it's probably only a mile due to the time he needs to settle down and not pull, lots of sniffing time, interspersed with some training (come back, stay close, wait while someone passes, etc). He is a fairly lazy dog though haha.
Thanks! Yes, we walk her a couple times a day and I’ve taken her on 2 3 mile walks

·
Registered
404 Posts
At six months the pup's joints are not yet all tightened up. Going on long walks or doing excessive running and jumping all could be bad for the joints that are not yet closed up. I would wait until the pup is a year old.

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
Yes. we have been taking Denver on hikes since he was about 5 months old. If the hike is something children can do, a young dog will be fine to do it too.

Denver is very active and has a lot of stamina. We hike frequently, all of his walks daily are off leash through the woods so he's constantly running/trotting around at his own pace. He swims frequently, and when we started hiking with him he was able to keep up the whole time. If your pup at any point starts to lay down or seem super exhausted, I'd turn around and head back down. Hiking is awesome activity for dogs and a6 6 months she'll be fine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would consider taking a lunch and making an afternoon of it. I wouldnt do it all at once. Go a little bit.. sniff some other dogs pee.. sit and watch birds.. go further, have lunch...

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I think you should build your pup's stamina slowly, as you mentioned you've taken her on 2-3 mile walks already, a 6 mile hike is double that and of a different terrain as well she might get tired faster than you expect? you could have a picnic midway and let her rest before completing it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts