Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We haven't had much luck with food lately, started feeding Nature's Variety several months ago and Boo especially lost a lot of muscle even though he got the same amount of exercise as he always did. Dusty lost 6 pounds and we're having to feed him a LOT now. So I was thinking of trying Wellness Core, since it has more protein (but still more reasonable protein/fat levels than something like EVO). But I think I don't like the Wellness company for some reason, and I don't remember why. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong with Wellness that I don't remember? :confused:

Taste of the Wild also seems to have good protein/fat amounts, but it just seems like the most ridiculous gimmicky company and I don't think it's been around for that long, so I'm kind of hesitant to try it. Has anyone fed it?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I don't like TOTW because it's made by Diamond, but that's just me.

I don't get the high protien (42% for EVO) diets. That just don't seem right to me.

Gilmour has done exceptionally well on Castor & Pollux UltraMix, but it is pretty expensive.

We haven't had much luck with food lately, started feeding Nature's Variety several months ago and Boo especially lost a lot of muscle even though he got the same amount of exercise as he always did. Dusty lost 6 pounds and we're having to feed him a LOT now. So I was thinking of trying Wellness Core, since it has more protein (but still more reasonable protein/fat levels than something like EVO). But I think I don't like the Wellness company for some reason, and I don't remember why. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong with Wellness that I don't remember? :confused:

Taste of the Wild also seems to have good protein/fat amounts, but it just seems like the most ridiculous gimmicky company and I don't think it's been around for that long, so I'm kind of hesitant to try it. Has anyone fed it?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Wellness and Eagle Pack were sold and a new parent company was formed. Is that perhaps what you're thinking of??? The name is WellPet. My crew hasn't done well on Eagle Pack Holistic since the change over, even though they keep saying the formula hasn't changed.

TOTW is made by Diamond. AND, most importantly, their fish meal contains ethoxyquin. Used by the suppliers so it doesn't have to be disclosed in their marketing material.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
We have Riley on Acana. It is 33% protein and so far so good. She was on Wellness (not Core) but kept having loose poops. I switched her cold turkey to Acana and she has done very well on it.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I LOVE the Acana, but they've had a recent formula change too and, at least here, is really hard to find (even online).

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I just mixed a bag of Innova with a bag of Acana, and that's what they'll be eating for a few weeks. Except Conner, he'll be eating strictly Acana because of his allergies. No more Acana after this though, it's the last bag in town of the old formula.

I want to try Horizen Legacy, but nobody sells it in town so I'll have to look into getting it shipped.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I've ved TOTW since it came out. I needed a grain free and that was in my price range. My dogs love it, they have shiny coats, small poop, maintain their weight very nicely, and look great. My lab mix tries to chew her skin off and hasn't had a hot spot in the 2 years since they're been on it.

·
Owned by Buddy and Lady
86 Posts
Great Dane Lady used to recommend Wellness, but when it sold she believed the quality has changed and now does not. It has been mention on other post and on her web site.
We feed our two Wellness Core Low Fat, as they need to loose weight. My personal opinion after a summer and fall of multiple changes is that we have found a food that gives our two shiny coats, no poop issues.
They also eat normally again, not scarfing it down and wanting more, or the "you expect me to eat that?" attitude.
After the weight loss I intend to continue feeding Wellness but again that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Our goldens are doing great on Canidae All Life Stages Grain-Free. It has 34% protein and costs less than most super premium brands. Elliot was diagnosed with epilepsy and has been seizure free for 8 months since we started feeding grain-free. He is not taking any medication. I do not believe that his food was the cause of his seizures, but it may have been a contributing factor.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
I just mixed a bag of Innova with a bag of Acana, and that's what they'll be eating for a few weeks. Except Conner, he'll be eating strictly Acana because of his allergies. No more Acana after this though, it's the last bag in town of the old formula.
QUOTE]

What do you know about the new formula? Have there been negative changes? Our dogs have been on it for about a month and a half and so far so good.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've ved TOTW since it came out. I needed a grain free and that was in my price range. My dogs love it, they have shiny coats, small poop, maintain their weight very nicely, and look great. My lab mix tries to chew her skin off and hasn't had a hot spot in the 2 years since they're been on it.
same here...
not into the "Diamond foods ancient history hoopala" since our girls have always done well on TOTW formulas..
what we like most also is it is quite low in calories compared to other brands..
less than 400 cal per cup..

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
jenlaur;1017852 What do you know about the new formula? Have there been negative changes? Our dogs have been on it for about a month and a half and so far so good.[/QUOTE said:
Oh there's nothing bad about the changes as far as I know, except that my boy is allergic to duck, and that's one of the items they added in.

I had found 4 kibbles my dog wasn't allergic to, that brings it down to 3

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
I had a litter of 7 pups on Wellness. Within two weeks of going to their new home (when they are now on solid food) had expreme diarrhea. They all changed right away and within days their stools were solid. These were 7 pups, 7 homes, wellness puppy diet...all very sick...I would not recommend. Wellness only response was that we had to have done something wrong. We now feed Canidae Grain Free ALS. I love this food. The last litter was so healthy, Mama looks great, all the coats of my dogs are just beautiful. Thanks Canidae!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
The "Diamond Foods Ancient History Hoopala" cost my Mom all three of her cats. I have a reason to dislike them.

same here...
not into the "Diamond foods ancient history hoopala" since our girls have always done well on TOTW formulas..
what we like most also is it is quite low in calories compared to other brands..
less than 400 cal per cup..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts