Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else in the forum has a high pile rug (or maybe carpet) and if so am wondering what you use to clean it. We have a Dyson which does really great with regular carpet, but it just doesn't do that great of a job with high pile carpet.

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem, and please tell me I don't have to get rid of my carpet...(because the dog is here to stay :wink2:)

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
I used to have a doggie daycare in my home so there was an abundance of pet hair. The main living space had a high pile carpet/rug so needed something almost commercial to keep up. I choose a Riccar upright for the rug. It doesn't have lots of attachments, strictly an upright. It's simple, relatively inexpensive and will suck the feathers off a goose!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have a doggie daycare in my home so there was an abundance of pet hair. The main living space had a high pile carpet/rug so needed something almost commercial to keep up. I choose a Riccar upright for the rug. It doesn't have lots of attachments, strictly an upright. It's simple, relatively inexpensive and will suck the feathers off a goose!
Thanks for your response. I looked at the uprights and they certainly vary in price from not so expensive to really expensive; do you remember which one you used?

Uprights

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Our Dyson or shark wouldnt go over the high pile either. Try finding a vacuum that has a carpet setting so you can adjust the heights for the carpet.

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,125 Posts
Bissell has a line of vacuums for pet owners, the vacuums have adjustable height settings for vacuuming on rugs/carpets. I have the Pet Hair Eraser, I've had it at least 10 years maybe longer....... it has adjustable levels for doing rugs and carpets.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Let me know when you find a reasonable one. I have a shark navigator. It works great on the floor and carpet but I have two rugs that it doesn't work that great. Meantime I'll look at the pet hair eraser, is it pricy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

So I went to a local vacuum shop that is a Riccar distributor and to my surprise they had a Riccar middle of the line loaner vacuum for people to try at their home (to ensure that it's not too hard to push through buyer's rugs and carpet). My wife and I brought it home and were not keeping our hopes up as we thought, "it can't be that great." Much to our surprise we were wrong. The suction on this machine is impressive. We did a quick pass-through on our high-pile rug and it pulled up almost all of our dog's hair up. A couple more passes and this this was as clean as it had ever been.

We were honestly both impressed with this vacuum and suddenly extremely disappointed in our Dyson.

I will say, the one thing I will miss from the Dyson is the edge-to-edge suction coverage, but I am convinced the Riccar's suction will clean my carpets better than our Dyson.

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,125 Posts
Let me know when you find a reasonable one. I have a shark navigator. It works great on the floor and carpet but I have two rugs that it doesn't work that great. Meantime I'll look at the pet hair eraser, is it pricy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They aren't cheap, but in comparison to other vacuums such as Dyson, they are reasonable. Like I said, I got mine over 10 years ago, got it from Target while it was on sale, it was under $200, prices have gone up on them some over the years but Bissell has also made improvements to the models.

https://www.bissell.com/cleaning-pr...atch_bissell&gclid=CJeWtuz82c4CFUFahgodrTgIsw

One thing I like about Bissell, when you buy one of their Pet Hair Eraser vacuums, a portion goes to their Bissell Foundation for shelter animals.

Animal Welfare Grants | Pet Charity | BISSELL Pet Foundation

·
Bill & Doc
185 Posts
I use the Dyson compact canister animal vacuum. It has a specific attachment that is specially made to get pet hair out of carpet. I have some low pile and medium pile carpet and rugs that are very thick. The regular vacuum attachment does a really fine job, but when I go over the same area again with the animal attachment it blows my mind how much more it gets out of the carpet and rugs. I don't know what you mean by high pile, but I assume you aren't referring to shag carpet, which I doubt would be easy to clean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I replaced my first generation Dyson with a Riccar. I miss the attachments but it is an awesome vacuum for golden hair!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I guess I lucked out. Bought a Dyson pet hair vacuum years ago. It has adjustments for carpet heights. With 3 dogs and a lot of carpet it has been a sanity saver. The vacuum has been going strong for about 9 years now. I dread the day it dies and I need to replace it. Have also got a new Dyson but it doesn't work nearly as well as the old one:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts