Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received confirmation today that the biopsy for Westleigh is a high grade sarcoma. The tissue samples weren’t enough to confirm the exact type. She’s scheduled for amputation of her left forelimb on Thursday and then the rest of the leg will be sent for biopsy to determine the exact type. The surgeon mentioned Histiocytic Sarcoma as a possibility. The tumor is wrapped around the elbow. Only 4 years old was never expecting to be dealing with this so young. Just hoping with the amputation it’ll make her a little more back to herself and not in so much pain from her leg. Had to put a T shirt on so she didn’t go for the incision sites
Dog Dog supply Dog clothes Sleeve Dog breed

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Poor baby. I am so sorry you and Westleigh are going through this.

·
Kristy
10,741 Posts
I am thinking of you and Westleigh. I can imagine this is so upsetting, I am just glad you're being so aggressive. I am sending good thoughts to you as you work through this and help her adjust to life on 3 legs. I hope so much that this gives her a fighting chance at many more years with you.

·
Registered
Ramses
227 Posts
I'm so terribly sorry for Westleigh and you. These things are really terrifying and the look on her face is so heartbreaking that she has to endure all this pain 😟 Although my words are surely inadequate, I hope she's gonna be better after treatment.. my golden and I send you lots of positive thoughts and wish Westleigh a speedy recovery.. Take care🤞🏽

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just spoke with the surgeon that the amputation was completed, he did notice a lymph node on the leg a little enlarged so that will be checked during the biopsy as well. Abdominal ultrasound was clear. She’s staying overnight for observation, and we should get to pick her up in the morning. This was right before dropping her off this morning. I think she slept about as much as I did last night. Just taking it one day at a time and hopefully with the tumor off her leg that pain relief will make her a little more like herself.
Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

·
Registered
20 Posts
She's cute! Saying a pray for all of you. Tomorrow, I get my Darby's lungs xrayed and an aspiration of limp nodes. She has malignant melanoma diagnosed in her paw pad. We took the tumor off two weeks ago. Darby's 12 1/2 so an entirely different story than your 4-year-old girl.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Relieved to hear that Westleigh's surgery is over and went well. I am praying that the awful source of pain is a thing of the past and she rallies. Youth is on her side with recovery and healing. Now you try to get some sleep because tomorrow morning will be here before you know it. It will be good to have her back home.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally received the immunihisto stain results today and it’s not Histiocytic Sarcoma or Osteosarcoma It’s only classified as a soft tissue sarcoma so we start Chemo tomorrow. 5 rounds of Doxorubicin via IV every 3 weeks. Very happy with the oncologist and all of the time he took to explain everything and answer all of our questions.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
It took some time but worth the wait. I'm so glad that it is treatable and you are happy with the oncologist. I think about Westleigh a lot. Appreciate you sharing her story and progress.
Good luck tomorrow - sending prayers her way.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Did Westleigh have round 1 of chemo on Thursday? Just wondering how she's doing. I'm praying she still feels good and is tolerating it well. Sending prayers and love her way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Did Westleigh have round 1 of chemo on Thursday? Just wondering how she's doing. I'm praying she still feels good and is tolerating it well. Sending prayers and love her way.
Westleigh has been doing well since the 1st round of chemo. She was treated like a celebrity the day she spent at the animal hospital for her treatment. They told us the staff from the surgery department who had seen her for the amputation surgery were all excited when they heard she was there for chemo treatment and she was saying Hi to everybody. She’s been a little picky with eating, but adding bone broth to the food has seemed to help. She finally ate a little this morning without having to add bone broth, but we’ve been giving her smaller meals too throughout the day. Hopefully the rest of the treatments go well. She goes back Wednesday for blood work to check her white blood cell count . But so far her energy levels have been the same as usual.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts