Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maddie's Thyroid test showed low T4 and T3 values, but that she did not have Thyroid problems. Dr. Jean Dodds recommended that I do a blood test and a urinalysis to make sure that everything was ok. I had them run the blood test and everything was normal except for her Cholesterol levels. Her Cholesterol level is 363 mg/dL (high) and the normal range is 92-324. Does anyone know what this means? I have also sent an email back to Dr. Jean Dodds asking her.

I have not done the urinalysis yet because I will probably do that through our regular vet so I don't have to pay for shipping the sample to CA. Dr. Jean Dodds has been so helpful and the test results are so fast!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
In people, hypothyroidism can cause high cholesterol since the thyroid gland has an impact on cholesterol regulation.
I assume the same would apply to dogs.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In people, hypothyroidism can cause high cholesterol since the thyroid gland has an impact on cholesterol regulation.
I assume the same would apply to dogs.
Hmm it's so confusing though because the Thyroid test determined that her Thyroid is normal, but that her T4 and T3 levels are low.

·
Administrator
16,481 Posts
When I have had low thyroid dogs the cholesterol levels were also high.

What were your test result numbers that were reported for the T3 and T4?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess Maddie's results are not typical ... here are her thyroid results (in bold):

T4 1.48
0.80 – 3.80
mg/dL

Free T4 1.10
0.55 – 2.32 ng/dL

T3 36
30 - 70 ng/dL

Free T3 1.9
1.6 – 3.5 pg/mL

Thyroglobulin Autoantibodies
Thyroglobulin Autoantibody 3 NEGATIVE %
------------TGAA CONFIRMATORY TEST INTERPRETATION ------------
< 10% = Negative; 10%-25% = Equivocal; > 25% = Positive

Adult Optimal Levels T4 1.50 – 3.80 mg/dL FT4 0.74 - 2.33 ng/dL
T3 40 – 70 ng/dL FT3 1.6 - 3.5 pg/mL

Dr. Dodds said that T4 could be higher and the low T3 is probably because of a "
concurrent non-thyroidal issue."

·
Administrator
16,481 Posts
Her numbers do not look that bad and her Thyroglobulin Autoantibodies is great showing her body is not attacking her thyroid. My Hogan had a 65 with his Thyroglobulin Autoantibodies results.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks, all of the lab work is confusing to me. I guess I will wait and see what Dr. Dodds says the high cholesterol level means ...

·
16,000 Posts
Marie, I'd agree with the other posters at this point. Dr. Dodd's may also look at your food as a possible cause for increased cholesterol level.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marie, I'd agree with the other posters at this point. Dr. Dodd's may also look at your food as a possible cause for increased cholesterol level.
Thank you! Dr. Dodds responded too and said that the cholesterol level would only be bad if the thyroid levels were lower. I'll probably get the urinalysis done sometime soon too just to confirm that everything is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts