Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daisy is about 13 weeks now and will get hiccups about twice a day, on average. It is usually when she wakes up in the morning and eats or if something too exciting happens. I just read about the frozen kong thing, so maybe I can try that to slow down the eating process.

Are hiccups normal? Do your dogs get them? Regularly or only occasionaly?

TIA

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Hiccups are pretty normal as are goldens that eat WAY too fast. There are a number of ways to slow down the eating which may help. A simple one is to take your pups supper and strewing it across the kitchen floor. Another one is to put it in an empty water or soda bottle and make them bat it around to get the food. Yet another, flip a rimmed bowl upside down and put the food in the rim.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiccups are pretty normal as are goldens that eat WAY too fast. There are a number of ways to slow down the eating which may help. A simple one is to take your pups supper and strewing it across the kitchen floor. Another one is to put it in an empty water or soda bottle and make them bat it around to get the food. Yet another, flip a rimmed bowl upside down and put the food in the rim.
Well we live in a pretty small place so the throwing of food on the floor probably won't work (also because the cats like it!) but I do like the water bottle & bowl tricks! Should I be giving her yogurt? My aunt always gave her dogs a scoop of plain yogurt and a couple cut up baby carrots with dinner.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I don't do that but it certainly wouldn't do any harm. My grandfather gave his blind Norwegian Elkhound every day of its life. (didn't help) :p:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Murphy has hiccups all the time. Even when he hasn't eaten or drank anything lately. I think it's definitely a big puppy thing. I expect it to stop happening so much as he gets older.

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
I was going to ask the same exact question! Hudsen is 16 weeks and gets them daily too. Sometimes for no reason- he gets them just when sitting around. They don't last very long, but they do happen often!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Most puppies do get the hiccups. I remember when Bama used to get them and then one day he just grew out of it.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank got the hiccups a lot when he was a young puppy, he seemed to just out grow it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Lily had hiccups all the time as a puppy...it was too cute! She, like the others have posted, grew out of it. :)

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Merlin also had the hiccups a few times a day when he was a pup. It was so cute!! I miss puppy hiccups!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
Daisy is about 13 weeks now and will get hiccups about twice a day, on average. It is usually when she wakes up in the morning and eats or if something too exciting happens. I just read about the frozen kong thing, so maybe I can try that to slow down the eating process.

Are hiccups normal? Do your dogs get them? Regularly or only occasionaly?

TIA
I was considering a post on the same topic!! My puppies get them regularly also...at least twice a day and like Daisy, usually when they wake up in the morning. It doesn't happen as often anymore after they eat as both of them have slowed down somewhat.

Not sure the kong thing would help my guys...they would just eat the kong to get to the food!!!

Thanks for the post......

·
Registered
86 Posts
Our Daisy had hic cups lots when she very young, now at 5 months she doesn't get them so often, but she does still have them occassionally - nothing in particular sets them off, she can just be sat quietly watching tv and they start lol She's so funny I love her to bits :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts