Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Kathy and I just recently got my 3rd golden, my second as a pup. We have had him for 3 weeks, he is 10 weeks old and unlike my last golden literally a ball full of energy. He likes to go crazy in the morning when he first gets up and when he goes to bed. I just this week got him to stay in his crate all night and we try to walk everyday but soon as I leave the house he sits and cries and refuses to walk, is this because he is so young? He is still trying to eat literally everything on the ground, when does this stage end? My last golden we never really got to walk bc it was winter time and he was so laid back. How can I work on training with this guy to sit when he literally just runs around and can't really remain calm enough to do anything in regards to training. Any tips for a wild young golden?

· Premium Member
395 Posts
My puppy didn't really understand the concept of going on a walk until 4 months old.

For the first 2-3 weeks, we mostly played in the exercise pen - I would wriggle stuffed animals around, use the flirt pole, or roll balls around. We also did a lot of interactive food toys like the Bob a Lot and kongs. Then when he's a bit older, we played a lot in the backyard - fetching balls, tug, trying to chase me when I run away from him. And we would go to puppy playgroups.

At 3-4 months, we would try to go on walks but his walking was highly variable and he would lay down and hang out every few houses or so. He's now 5 months and we are finally doing 1 mile walks in parks and around the neighborhood. His playtime still mostly consists puppy play/wrestling at doggy daycare or at the parks.

Oh and he wanted to eat everything in the house and in the yard. It didn't really stop until the third month. And then it was biting/nipping for another month. He's so much better now at 5 months, though he's started to counter surf...

For training, can you train for 30 sec (like 2 sets of puppy pushups), then play for 30 secs (tug or a ball), then do the rotation again? Their attention spans are so short at that age, but they do really want to please you! Good luck! :)

· Registered
271 Posts
Awe still so little. But never too soon to train with treats. If you are that’s great. Keep doing so. Food is a distraction or draws his attention away from what behavior I want to see discontinue. And tons of positive reinforcement for good behavior. He could be napping and I give him praise lol. My pup has the zoomies (lessening with age). I’ve never had a zoomie dog before. LOL. He gets them in the evening and sometimes the morning too. He’s 5 months old. So for us it’s walking in the morning and fetch or play late afternoon (because too hot to walk), enrichment toys in the evening. Keeps his mind active. I hope that helps a wee but.

Good luck and enjoy. It goes so quick.

· Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It is amazing you have had 3 goldens! hopefully you share pictures. Our little puppy started to get the hang of walks (kinda) around 9 weeks. She was going on walks with us at 8 weeks. Thanks for posting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.