Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this group and have joined to see if something helpful pops up for me. I have spent countless hours looking through profiles at local shelters for a dog that might be what my husband and I want/need for a doggie companion. I feel that we could love almost any dog, and want to adopt a rescue, but every time I inquire about a particular dog -- or actually (before this quarantine) go to meet them -- something just isn't right. The dogs seem uninterested, distracted, etc. I know shelter life is hard, but there should be an immediate (dare I say, love at first sight?) connection, right? I keep coming back to memories of my "Abby". She was a beautiful Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab cross, and I miss her sooooo much! Especially during this time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello. My name is Lana. I posted on the new member or introduction sight too. I saw that one person commented about a lengthy post, and mine may be as well. My profile pic shows my grand babies, who live in another state, so would not be part of the household. My husband and I live near Chambersburg PA, and are both in our 60's. He still works, but I am retired. I have looked at and met some other breeds, but I would really like to adopt a Golden. I guess it's like falling in love (ha!), it has to be the right match. I'm not super active and could stand to lose some weight, so a dog to walk would be great. I'm thinking a senior-ish dog, maybe 4 or 5 years old who is still active but relatively calm and charming (like me! HA! :) As I mentioned in my intro-post, I've been looking at local shelters for some time and just can't seem to find the right doggy for us. I also worry about the fact that we have a pond with fish, and lots of flower beds. Would that be a problem, I wonder? Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

·
Kristy
9,309 Posts
Have you reached out to Golden Retriever specific rescues? Here is a link to help find some National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America

Also, you might try reaching out to local clubs via facebook sites and asking for help finding a breeder who might be looking to place an adult dog who is needing a family. Local Golden Retriever Clubs - Golden Retriever Club of America This would take time but networking would probably be worth it as I don't think you will often find Goldens in shelters.

Best of luck with your search, I think you'd be a great home. Yes, keeping a Golden out of the pond might be an issue, you would need to consider fencing off an area or keeping the dog on leash. They are water dogs after all :) Also, 4 or 5 years old is prime for a healthy Golden, my girl is 7 and still requires retrieving exercise and is quite active. Just be aware that they are sporting dogs.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think it can be hard to find adult dogs. I looked at Golden Rescues an had an approved application but every dog that didn't have issues with other dogs or bad separation anxiety also had hundreds of people applying. One time after I looked at a shelter dog I thought might be a possibility but wasn't; I was trying to describe why and a friend said "it wasn't Honeybear" my first Golden. It made me realize I could not expect to feel a connection to a stranger that in any way resembled what I had lost. On the other hand if a dog doesn't seem like a good match, you don't want to adopt it and spend 10 or more years stuck in a bad situation. I eventually got Rukie as a puppy. I don't really have any advice. There are quite a few members who have rescued dogs with great success so hopefully they may chime in. I do believe that eventually the dog you are meant to have comes to you somehow.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,297 Posts
Welcome!

I used to volunteer with a GR Rescue in my State and I adopted my Bridge girl from them.
Most of the Groups match the dogs with the applicants lifestyle, they try to make the best possible match for both the dog and the family.

Alot of the groups have wait lists, especially when someone is looking for a young golden.
Sometimes when they have approved applicants on wait lists, some dogs that come into their programs don't even get listed as being available on their website. The approved adopters waiting are contacted first.

There are some really great dogs in the GR Rescues, some have been released by owners due to lifestyle changes. The girl I adopted had been a puppy mill momma, spent her first two years in cage, had been verbally and physically abused. Did she have issues, yes but I went into it fully aware she had them and knew it was going to be a long process. It took a lot of time and patience but it was an amazing journey to see her blossom.

My current boy I found at my County shelter, he's been the easiest dog I've ever had.

Each dog is very unique and special in their own way, you can't replace one dog with another, but you can choose to open your heart and home to another dog.

I am going to send you a message with some info.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,297 Posts
LadyLana-I merged your duplicate threads into one so you'll have all the replies and info in the same thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you reached out to Golden Retriever specific rescues? Here is a link to help find some National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America

Also, you might try reaching out to local clubs via facebook sites and asking for help finding a breeder who might be looking to place an adult dog who is needing a family. Local Golden Retriever Clubs - Golden Retriever Club of America This would take time but networking would probably be worth it as I don't think you will often find Goldens in shelters.

Best of luck with your search, I think you'd be a great home. Yes, keeping a Golden out of the pond might be an issue, you would need to consider fencing off an area or keeping the dog on leash. They are water dogs after all :) Also, 4 or 5 years old is prime for a healthy Golden, my girl is 7 and still requires retrieving exercise and is quite active. Just be aware that they are sporting dogs.

·
4,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good luck finding your new ferry buddy.
Like cwag, I also believe that eventually the dog you are meant to have comes to you somehow. My heart broke when I had to say good-bye to my sweet cat, Pooh after 14 years (cancer). I knew when the time was right a new purr buddy would find me and a few years later he did. I hope you have the same luck just a little quicker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts