Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! We brought home our new puppy last Friday. It's been a long time since we have done the puppy stage. So far she is awesome at night and seems quite happy and playful. A really sweet girl.

My only concern is that she doesn't seem to eat as much as
she should. She is almost 8wks, and about 9-10 lbs, and she won't eat more than 1/4 cup of kibble (softened) at any feeding. Does anyone have any thoughts? I am used to a golden that would eat virtually anything until she popped. I have tried a couple ideas to entice her to eat more per feeding but it hasn't made a lasting difference.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hi, and welcome!

It took Rocket a couple weeks in his new home with us before he started eating full meals. The breeder had warned me that it wasn't unusual for a pup to eat less when they first go to their new home.

He would eat more if I hand fed him, so I would sit and feed him by hand, then gradually lead him to his bowl. Within a couple weeks, he was scarfing up his whole meal from the bowl every time.

That being said, it's always a good idea to check with your vet to rule out any physical issues.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Don't sweat! Brand new puppies often take a little while to find their appetites, and it's very rare for a puppy to eat less than she needs. As long as her weight looks good, she's getting enough, and you might see her appetite spike once she gets more used to her environment. Some puppies get distracted or excited and lose interest in meals when they're new to the home but end up with a longer attention span for food after a week or two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much! I figured a few days to adjust, but perhaps I just need to give her more time. She does go to the bowl and eat, but walks away before finishing. My last golden was a little more than 11 weeks when we bought her home, so this age is a new world for me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for asking! Sunny is doing better, she has gained a couple of pounds and does eat more. Breakfast is still difficult...she eats less than 1/4 cup of food first thing, but will eat more later in the morning. It's not an ideal feeding schedule, but we will continue to work on it as she gets older. It seems she just doesn't really like dog food all that much. What a stinker!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts