Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Windsor, and I'm 8.5 weeks old. My mommy religiously researched breeders on this website and spent a lot of time (too much time) reading up on OFA clearances, training, and common golden retriever issues before I came home, which has made my first few days go by very swimmingly.

I'm already very good at potty training, but sometimes I mistake towels meant for keeping my eating area tidy as pee pads. Oops! But at least cleaning is mostly easy enough because I have great aim. I'm great at settling by myself when my parents are tired and need to sleep. I'm very desensitized to almost all noises. I've slept and have eaten through fireworks, ambulance and fire truck sirens, washer and dryer, and vacuuming without any fearful reaction. I'm a very good boy. I already know how to sit, go potty on command, settle. I'm still working on "off" and "come," but sneakily, I know those words, I just like to conveniently not listen when I'm chewing on something I shouldn't be.

Windsor's mommy here: this dog has honestly been a dream to work with, and we credit it to all the great work and careful breeding of our breeders. And our breeder perfectly matched this dog's temperament (very mellow boy) with us. Honestly, we were preparing for so, so much worse.

For those of you still looking for a puppy, keep your head up. It's totally worth the wait. We waited for over 6 months to bring this little guy home, which felt like forever, and to this day, I still can't believe we have him. But so long as you're persistently polite and show your knowledge about the breed and what's most important to you (e.g. temperament, ethical breeding, health certifications, pedigree -- NOT color), you'll make your way up lists in no time flat.

Also, I recently read some threads about rearing a puppy and baby at the same time. And although we don't have kids (yet), I cannot imagine having a two-month puppy and and baby or toddler at the same time. And this is us having a pretty good puppy all things considered -- we were prepared for diarrhea issues, lengthy potty training, sleepless nights for the first week, etc. But even not facing most of those issues, there's no part of us that would want to add a baby into the mix during this period for those considering the balancing act.

I'm going to do some various pupdates on this thread for those who want to follow along!

·
Registered
109 Posts
He is absolutely adorable! Congratulations on the new addition.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Hey Windsor. You are a cutie with a bit a mischief in your eyes! Enjoy your caring family!

Reactions: goldielynn

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Congratulations on finding each other! Windsor is a supercutie. It sounds like you are off to a great start but just beware a 10 week old can be totally different than they were when they first came home. I'm sure you are ready to roll with it though. Have fun.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Windsor. You are a cutie with a bit a mischief in your eyes! Enjoy your caring family!
Hahaha! It's funny that you say that... we have him in his own space earshot from us when we're working, but not always within eyeshot of us to find that balance of being close but not too close to coddle separation anxiety. And I check on him constantly, and a quarter of the time, I always catch him doing something he's not supposed to, AND he knows it too, so he always freezes... really he's too smart for his own good.

Congratulations on finding each other! Windsor is a supercutie. It sounds like you are off to a great start but just beware a 10 week old can be totally different than they were when they first came home. I'm sure you are ready to roll with it though. Have fun.
Thank you for the heads up! We'll definitely prepare our battle armor. Haha.

With so much of our day dedicated to checking up on him to making sure he's being a good boy, taking him to go potty, and finding activities for him to stay engaged, I am completely bewildered on how people raised puppies prior to covid.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Windsor is now 3 months today. Where did the time go??

He's now been in puppy preschool for 3 weeks, and everyone always remarks at how well he plays with other dogs. He has a very mellow energy when playing with other dogs -- doesn't ever bark, will play chase and dance, and isn't ever dominant. He has now become the trainers' pick on the puppy to play with the "new kid" in class. I'm so proud of his good citizenship "grades"!

Below are pictures. He's gotten so tall right before my eyes, and his tail feathers are starting to come in. Also pictured is his new friend, Ellie, a french bulldog puppy.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well,you look much more gorgeous & cute than any Windsor Successor.The Sussex ones could not win the hearts & popularity they wished for in US but as a "Windsor" you already did.(at least mine ).You shall ask the Queen to grant you an HRH title👑

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By the way,happy TeddyBear Day Windsor.You are a live one 🐻
Haha, it's funny that you say that. More than a couple of people have asked whether he was half polar bear. And everyone he meets comments on just how fluffy he is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts