Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Wow, that is amazing. My wife is fighting me to keep one of our pups, to have a second golden retriever indoor. I rather won't show her your picture or I will have to back off and admit that it's possible. No question there.
How do you manage 5 Goldens? How big is your house?
BTW. Welcome to our forum.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joe said:
Wow, that is amazing. My wife is fighting me to keep one of our pups, to have a second golden retriever indoor. I rather won't show her your picture or I will have to back off and admit that it's possible. No question there.
How do you manage 5 Goldens? How big is your house?
BTW. Welcome to our forum.
Hello Joe!!!

Go ahead.........show your wife the picture! :D :D

Actually........keeping one of your puppies would be easy as can be! Two is always better than one!!! You would be amazed at how easy each new puppy was! The older ones train the younger ones! You can actually see the puppy just watching and watching what the "big dogs" do, and they imitate exactly what they see.

As for how I manage 5 goldens....well, my senior takes no time at all...she's very spunky when she goes out to play, but in the house, she's pretty much the couch potato!!

The others, they entertain themselves! They know what kind of behavior is expected of them, and they play play play!

Needless to say, I am alpha of this bunch, and if one is doing something they shouldn't do, you can count on one or the other coming and telling me... My Hannah, she'll be 1 yr old on July 1st, is the biggest tattle tale... I KNOW that someone is in trouble when she comes running to me and then she'll run back to the "pack", then run back to me... it's sooooooo funny!!!

The house, well it isn't a mansion, that's for sure, but we have a finished lower level with walk-out basement. We spend 95% of our time there... my DH is very picky about carpet and such... he's just positive the puppers are going to ruin HIS house... We're very careful, and the puppers are monitored 100% of the time. They NEVER get free run of the house. That's the agreement my DH and I have come up with... I can have my puppers, but if we leave or when we go to bed, or if we're too busy to watch the pups they are kenneled... and they LOVE their kennels!!! (Pet taxi type kennels).

I'm not sure I answered all the questions, so ask away!!!

We just have a great time here at my house! I love my goldens!

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Hi, thanks for your answer, it seems so easy when you talk about it. My worries are different though...
Keep in mind, that we do not own the house and we live on the third floor of an apartment building.
So it's very different. We don't have a garden or anything like it, to let dogs out, whenever they ask.
If we keep this second puppy, taking them out together will be a challenge...
So now I am taking puppy out, then I come back and take Kia, her mom out. You'll probably understand how it is.
It's almost impossible for me to take both of them out now. One is pulling to one side, another to another side.
You know how Goldens are... To add to it... we are having quite a troubles with traveling. If we want to go to Europe and we do go almost every year or so to see out family, it's very hard to find someone to take care of one dog for 2-3 weeks. Now I am not sure how about two dogs. Another thing to add to cons, small flat... 2 bedrooms and it already smells very dog like in our flat...
We love this puppy very much. These are just my concerns. My wife sees this in different light, but I am trying to be more realistic, I guess. :)
So I am the one who is against and my wife is pro :)
Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, that's amazing! Those are some beautiful dogs! Joe, we're in the same situation as you -- 2 BR flat, and have to take the stairs/elevator to let the dog eliminate. I can't imagine having more than 1 dog, but I'm sure it could be done... ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you guys arent' going to believe this but............

We do take our dogs out for exercise each day... this is where the "BUT" comes in! They are always always always on check cords........We do NOT allow them to run with no supervision!!!

AND............when everyone (meaning pups) is inside, we take them out to potty ONE AT A TIME - ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ON A LEASH!!! You couldn't do this?? hehehehe :D

Ok, we sound mean.........but they do get to run, we're just right there to get those 50ft check cords if needed and they don't know that they should be allowed to run free because we don't tell them! hehehehehe! They love it when we get the check cords out!!! They stand at-the-ready for their turn to be hooked up!

It's just what works and I am a firm believer that goldens are THE most adaptable dogs. If they are raised in a small home, they don't know there are bigger ones.......they adapt to what they have!!! If it's a rainy week, mine do NOT go out...DH will not tolerate the mess, but my puppers don't know they are missing anything.... they've adapted!

Good Luck you guys.........it really isn't hard to do multiple puppers if you have the time and the desire, which I am lucky to have both. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe said:
It's almost impossible for me to take both of them out now. One is pulling to one side, another to another side.
You know how Goldens are... Joe
Do I ever know how goldens are!

The answer: pinch collars... fitted properly and used ONLY for training. Won't take long at all, when used properly, to stop the pups from pulling.
I swear by pinch collars. They are barbarian-looking, but they WORK!
It took me a very long time and talking to an admin of a different forum,to finally trust HIM and MYSELF enough to try these collars .... and I found that they are the BEST!

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Hm, I guess we will have to still think about it. But thanks a lot for this discussion.
Lets just say, that I admire you.
Joe

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I WANT TO LIVE IN YOUR HOUSE!!!!! Please....please...please!
How wonderful to have that many Goldens (never mind animals) in your home. WOW! My hat off to you.
When I babysat for my cousin a few years back I looked after her 3 goldens and my (then) puppy MOJO. We lived in a townhouse but because her dogs are SO well behaved I was able to take all 4 of them out to the park at the same time. Impressive to say the least! She's a dog and horse trainer and spends oddles of time with her babies and it certainly shows. We have a similiar picture of all the dogs at our back patio door,as your avatar.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank You, you guys,

I'm just an average ordinary person who is lucky enough
to be living a dream! I love my puppers and do spend alot
of time with them! I would NEVER say they were obedience
trained, but we get along just about perfect here at home.

When we go walking anywhere, it's pinch collars and leashes
just to simplify everything!!! They can get quite rowdy when
meeting new people and the pinch/leash combo helps us
control the troops! :D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello Goldensonly,Welcome to a great forum.
We have 4 furbabies that live inside with us.Two girl Goldens and 1 Flatcoat boy and a Border Collie boy.We only use collars when we take them off the property.Otherwise they come and go as they please to the FENCED back yard.They have over a 1/2 acre for them to use.We keep the rest of the yard for people,but most people end up with them.They rotate sleeping spots through out the night.We are surrounded on three sides at all times when we are in bed.We sleep very safe.
Shane

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Shane!
You sound pretty busy, too!

I usually consider myself pretty lucky to have my puppers...there are a few
rules that DH insists on, one being that the puppers (all PUPPIES except Tessa) not have free roam of the house at night, so they are kenneled when HE says they have to be.

YOU are lucky to be able to have all your's sleeping with or near you!!
I'm still working on that one! :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow am I impressed with your bunch! All five of them are adorable! I would do anything to have another golden one to share my life. And one day that might happen:crossfing . My husband is not so easily convinced that it would be a good idea. And even if your puppers do not sleep with you you have what some of us consider the idylic life!! Ah... five golden ones!!!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Yes.... they learn from an older dog

Hi:), Im (Hudson and Asha's Mum.... Ann),

Hudson is 5 and 1/2 months and yes.... the younger dog does pick up and learn from the older dog. Asha and Hudson walk on their leads really quite well, Hudson has a harness and mostly walks along side of Asha.... I guess I'm really lucky !!:wave:

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
20 paws!!

:) :wave: PS. What a great family of five, Your life must be full of joy and mischief.. ...with 20 paws on the go!!
Hudson and Ashas' mum........... Australia

1 - 20 of 21 Posts