Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So glad I found this forum!
Our family pet, our beloved Golden Jake, passed a few years ago. We miss him, terribly.

My son will be getting out of the Navy in Jan. 2013, after 7 years of service. We have not seen him since he detached to So. Korea, almost 2 yrs ago. While he's been gone, our precious Jake passed away. We would dearly love to find a well-bred (HEALTHY) pup to gift our son upon his return, as a "Thank you for your service" and "Welcome HOME!" gift. He had expressed his desire to raise a Golden, when he's settled back in the U. S.

So, I am researching breeders in the St. Louis area, hoping to identify a litter to be born in November, from parents with certified health histories.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I am so thankful I found the thread on Sievers brothers kennels, as I now know what to look for, and to AVOID in a "breeder".

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I know when dear-husband came back from overseas deployments there was most definitely a period of adjustment - it was an insanely busy time filled with visits with family and friends for a good month!
Our youngest son recently left for Afghanistan....I fully expect that he will go through a period of adjustment as well.
The Army, as a part of its reentry process, will strongly suggest no big life changes for a period of time after coming home from deployment.....buying a puppy with a long term commitment falls into that category!

Could I suggest a big fluffy stuffed golden retriever for his arrival and then let him be a part of the selection process?

It will give him time to re-acclimate to life in the States...
Be a part of the breeder selection process - a valuable learning experience for him as well - and give him a measure of control over the type of puppy he wants for the next 10-15 years of his life...Plus most good breeders frown upon puppies as gifts for other adults...
Plus he will get to enjoy the anticipation of the puppy coming into his life....

I can only imagine the excitement you must feel to know he will be home so soon!!!!

Having you start the research and helping him rule out bad breeders and come up with a list of great breeders would be a wonderful gift!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mary, I appreciate your advice! Maybe we'll bring a Golden puppy into OUR home - I have been ready for awhile! When my son settles in, down the road, he can let us know when he's ready, although he has mentioned in eMails the two things he's looking forward to are HOME COOKING and getting a Golden! ;)

I will still welcome any/all breeder info for our area. Thank you!

PS We thank your son for his service!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts