Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here I just adopted a little golden 4 days ago. She was WAY to young to leave her mommy but the owners of the mommy wanted the puppies gone asap. SO SAD. My baby was only 5 weeks and 3 days when I got her. She wouldn't eat anything for the first 2 days. I had to force feed puppy milk to her. Yesterday she started eating on her own. lapping up the milk from a dish and eating puppy kibble soaked in milk. She is doing way better now. poor girl had a real rough start. her name is Sharlette (yes with a SH and no O)

Here is a picture of her from yesterday 5 weeks and 6 days old. She turned 6 weeks old today. She seems a bit under weight too. She is 3 lb and 15.5 ounces. I can feel her bones. I can't wait until she had chubbed up a bit more and is super health. The people she came from had 2 unfixed goldens... The mother is a puppy still her self.... only 9 months old.... They said they didn't want puppies but didn't prevent puppies. They didn't know what they were doing with the litter.... when I went to their house they were just getting home from work it was 5 PM they had the puppies in a huge cage outside and the mother in another cage away from the puppies. I personally think she should have been with her litter all day still... She had 9 puppies. Anyways. I am new here and I look forward to getting to know you all. Sorry this post ended up being so long. I just thought I should fill everyone in on everything and maybe I could get advice or something.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
She is a cutie.
I feel so sorry for that mom and her pups. I hope the owners get their female spayed ASAP so this doesn't happen again.

Reactions: Pemphredo

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Welcome...it is just pathetic how some people treat their dogs! (not you, where you got her)...thanks for giving this poor little girl a home. Maybe you could help them contact the local Golden Retriever Rescue......maybe they can get the rest of those poor pups!

·
Registered
277 Posts
welcome to the forum
that is really sad about her previous owners =(
she's very adorable and i hope she gets better soon

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for such a warm welcome! She seems so much better today. I have noticed though that her life pattern is a bit off. the owners worked all day and didn't get home till night so she was cooped up in the cage all day I am guessing and wasn't with her mommy or fed till night... so she wants to eat and play all night and sleep ALL DAY. I know she needs to sleep a lot since she is so young but awake all night isn't fun LOL if I am not with her while she is awake she cries and cries and WOW is she loud. hehe I feel like I have a new born. She is doing real well now though. She is already so smart. When she needs to go potty she goes to the back door and cries. YAY for being a fast learner on that one. I also noticed last night she went to the kitchen sat in front of the fridge and cried. so I thought " maybe she is hungry" and got her milk out of the fridge and warmed it and sure enough she was hungry. She has now every time she was hungry went to the kitchen at the fridge where I keep her milk. I have a dish with water and a dish with hard dry puppy food in it setting out for her to get to freely and she has been drinking and snacking on the hard food randomly. I have also been giving her milk soaked puppy food 3 times a day too.

What age should I start lessening the wet food and milk that I am giving her?

I have not taken her to the vet yet I have an appointment set up for this Friday. The vet said they didn't want her to come in till after she was 6 weeks old. She just turned 6 weeks today. However I did get her dewomred already. She was 3 lb 14.5 ounces before worming.... she let out a HUGE amount of worms EWWWW and I re weighed her after she was down to 3 lb 11oz... YUCK 3 1/2 ounces of worms EWWW lol poor puppy!

·
Premium Member
18,409 Posts
Poor little one, I'm so sorry she didn't get to be with her mommy and these people sent her away from mommy and littermates so young.

But I'm really glad that you have her, it's clear she will get the best care with you. Before you know it she will be a big strong girl giving you lots of sass!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is very sad story but I am so happy she is with you now. She might be missing a lot but your love will do the magic. She is so sweet, those eyes are beautiful and sad. What you've just said about her sounds like she is very smart little puppy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Considering her rough start, worms, and underweight I personally would not see a problem continuing the puppy milk and moistened food for a couple more weeks (8 weeks maybe?) then wean her off. Watch her weight gain to be sure she is still gaining well. When you see the vet they can make a more personalized recommendation. Good luck with your sweet girl.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
She's so sweet, I am glad that you rescued her from a not-so-great situation. I hope your neighbors spay their poor dog. :( Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Sharlette is soooo cute!!! Sounds like she is becoming a very smart girl. I am glad you rescued her...poor life prior to you giving her a real home. I hope her siblings are lucky enough to get homes too. Lots of luck with putting some weight on her and teaching her all about life and what it feels like to be loved!!!:wavey:

·
We love 'em all
10 Posts
I would report that "breeder" to your local aspca office. Giving away 5 week old pups and separating them from their mom all day is plain wrong. I hate to ask but are you sure the pup's mom and dad are not related? People like this need to be turned in to prevent them from doing it again.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I would keep her on the moistened kibble until she is at least 8 wks, then just use warm water instead of the milk, but I still slightly moisten my dogs kibble to this day. Right now I would feed her many small meals as you can and get that weight moving upwards. With the amount of worms she expelled I would hope your Vet puts her on a worming schedule for you (which her breeders Should have done). It is in a series, done every few weeks until she is ready for her Heartguard or whatever you decide to use, but pups need this as only one worming seldom gets them all. You might ask the Vet about food too. When so young there might be a more beneficial food (prescription Hills) that might help her gain while she is so young then switch back to her kibble.

But she is off to a wonderful start with you and hope you continue to post and let us know how she is. She is such a cutie.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I would like to say welcome to the forum! I am glad that you seem to be doing a great job with this little one. Those other people should be ashamed taking her away from her mother at this age. I am also sure that they shouldn't have even been sold without their first shots and at least 6-7 weeks old.

Anyway, Be sure to take a fecal sample to the vet so they can check for internal parasites. You already dewormed her once (with what, I'm not sure) but she could have others.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
What a rough start in life she has had but it sounds like little Sharlette has found a wonderful home with you. She is adorable. I am glad that you have found us here. You will find lots of great information and advice.

·
Ginger and Belle's Mom
40 Posts
Welcome and thank you for taking in this little girl. She is so very cute. It breaks my heart to read how her life started out so sad. I hope and pray her litter mates all get loving homes. Best wishes for a healthy happy puppy! Before you know it, she'll be a big love bug.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been weighing her every morning with a digital baby scale I have to make sure her weight is going up. She was 3 pounds 15.5 ounces yesterday and this morning she was 4 pounds 2 ounces. I am SO glad she is gaining. Thank you all for such a warm welcome.

She has been so frisky today. She slept so much better last night. She went to her bed at 9pm and woke up at 1am to go potty then went back to sleep till 3:20 to go potty again and she ate then went back to sleep until 6am when she woke up went potty and ate again and she was up playing from 6 till just now 8am when she fell back to sleep. She seems to be getting on a better sleep schedule. I have been recording when she eats, sleeps, wakes, and poops just to make sure she is not too lethargic like she was the first few days and to make sure she is eating good enough. Thank you all for such good support and advise! It is so nice to have you all to share this journey with.

Oh also I used Sergeants Vetscription Worm-Away for dogs. I got it at petco. I planned on re worming 10 days from when I did it the first time like recommended on the box.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts