Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should introduce myself since I have been asking so many questions lately and haven't formally introduced myself. I'm Cory and we live on Long Island in New York. We don't have our Golden yet but will be bringing him home in exactly 7 days, barring any unforeseen problems, and I am so excited. We have an 11 1/2 year old Chihuaua/Pomeranian mix who is my dog and we are getting our golden for my children but have a feeling he will also be my dog. We have picked out a male and are debating on the names Baxter and Rocky. The house is divided on the names and we are going to wait until we pick him up to make the final decision. I'm very concerned with how our current dog, Teddy, is going to adapt to a new puppy but I felt it was time to add another dog to our family and feel that a Golden is the perfect fit. We don't plan on doing anything with him like agility or showing or breeding but just having him as our pet.
You all have been such a great resource for me so far and I truly appreciate it as I'm very nervouse about getting a purebred puppy since I know they can have some medical problems. We have been very lucky with our current dog (he does have a heart murmur and patella luxation) but is still very playful and going strong.
Thanks for all of your guidance and I can't wait to bring Baxter/Rocky home with us!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Cory

I'm seeing your posts for the first time and are assuming your new pup's parents and hopefully grandparents have all their clearances. Although good clearances are never a total guarantee of future health, it's a great start to relieve some of the anxiety from the whole process. We're from Long Island also and golden owner's for twenty five years. Always as "pets", although our newest addition, "Bode" will be training as a therapy dog down the road. Wishing you the best with Rocky/Baxter ( kind of like Baxter myself:)) and welcome to the forum.

·
aka Karen
159 Posts
Hi there!:)

Also a Long Islander. I just brought home my first Golden 3 weeks ago today. He's already just over 10 weeks old. At times he's a handful. I have 2 senior cats (15 and 16 yr olds). No other dogs in the household. However, he plays w/ the 15 yr old male like he was another dog. Play does get a little rough though, so they need to be separated often. But the cat goes back for more. Just concerned about the claws.

Enjoy your new puppy!

Here's my pup at 2 days shy of 10 weeks:

Attachments

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
HI and welcome! Cant wait to see some pictures once you get him!!! Its hard at first but it is sooooo worth it!

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and I can't believe how many of us are from Long Island. What a small world???? Both of his parents have their clearances and we have decided to go with the name Baxter. I love that name and think he looks like a Baxter. I can't wait to bring him home to his forever home!

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warm welcome. After talking with the breeder at length today we decided to go with a female instead. She feels that this is the best temperment dog for our family. So we will be bringing Dakota home next weekend and I can't wait.:)

·
Registered
488 Posts
We have had Emma for about a month and half. She's now 14 wks old and a handful!! But also just a sweetheart. Good luck. Looking forward to pics.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Welcome :wavey: from down south to you and your soon to be bundle of joy Dakota:) We all love to watch pups grow up and to hear about all of the new adventures!!

Al & Tuff Dog

1 - 14 of 14 Posts