Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I adopted a 9 year-old GR two days ago from a shelter. The dog was taken out of a puppy mill by the cops a few weeks ago. He had skin deseases, was starving, in a overall bad shape.

The breeder was selling the puppies to a pharmaceutical laboratory and really did not care much for the dogs he kept in cages.

As our GR had always been in a cage, we thought we would have a hard time teaching him the basics. We were wrong!!! he has been with us since friday afternoon, and is doing great! He learns very quickly and is so affectionate. He also gets along great with our yorkshire and shitzu.

When we go out for a walk, he holds his leash in his mouth and "takes my son for a walk" :) This is too funny!

The shelter has taken great care of the dog. he is doing much better but of course still has medications to take. The back paws hair is growing back. Half of his tail still has no hair. he still has rash on his body but it is going away little by little. he also needs to gain some weight. But you know what? I think he looks beautiful!

Voilà! have a beautiful afternoon!

Nathalie

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Kimm and AbbyDabbydo,

Thank you for your messages. The shelter had called him Mabrook....but we decided he was as sweet as Caramel...and called him Caramel! :)

Nathalie

·
Gold Member
3,105 Posts
welcome to the forum, what a wonderful ending<new beginning> for this wonderful dog! thank you for giving him a wonderful home!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
What a sweet boy! I have two rescues myself. There is nothing quite as rewarding.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm so glad you here with us. Your boy looks very happy. When you put a few lbs (or Kgs LOL) he'll look even better!

Just love the heck out of him. That is what goldens need! :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to you and Caramel,
I agree he is beautiful and still has that sweet loving personality after being treated so terribly in the past. Bless you for seeing the beauty under all the problems and may you have a long and happy time with him. He is so cute "walking" your son.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
What a sweetie....your love and attenion will be returned ten-fold!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thank you so much for rescuing that sweet guy. You'll find lots of support, friendship and fun here. AND, we love lots of pics...... we'll really enjoy seeing how your guy blossoms with your love and attention.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
That second picture is great. What a cutie!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Bless you for caring enough to take in your wonderful GR! I am so glad to read that he is loving his new home already! I look forward to more photos and hearing more about how he adjusts into your family! Welcome to GRF!

Tiffany

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your support and kind words. Caramel is doing great. I am amazed at how quickly he has adjusted to us. He is very smart and learns quickly. I only have to teach him anything once for him to remember.

We went out for a 45 minutes run today. I used to run with my yorkshire ...they both come along now. :) The yorkie stays to my right, and the GR to my left. they run very close to me and never pull on their leash. Several cars driving by,slowed down just to watch us run and wave at us. :)

Voilà! so far everything is going great. I will keep you posted!

Have a beautiful day!

Nathalie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts