Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Puppydom!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! :wavey:
I'm Beth... I've been lurking for a few months, since our puppy isn't QUITE with us yet. I originally found this forum while researching reputable breeders in Georgia, and being able to sift through all of the posts devoted to that topic was immensely helpful. After finding the right breeder for us, and waiting for a litter to be planned/delivered, we are now about 5 weeks away from bringing our puppy home, and we got to meet the Mom and the litter last weekend. Adorable, of course. :eek:
I'm using the forum again to compile my "new puppy checklist" and the amount of info out there, is again, so helpful: I've already bought a Kong toy and I'm researching Durapet bowls and Lupine leashes. You guys are great!
I'm looking forward to continuing the learning process, fueled by the thousands of great posts here. Thanks for all of the tips so far!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome. I know the wait is hard but it looks like you have done a great job with your puppy homework. My wife and I just got are two puppies and it has changed are life in a really good way. Not going to lie, Maggie and Casey do keep us on the move when their not napping but I feel like a new dad for the first time all over again (great stuff). Wish you all the best with your future pup.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Welcome to you Beth. Im from Greene County a bit east of you. :wave: I know you are excited about new Puppy. Enjoy:)

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Welcome!! you must be so excited! the wait os so hard! lol I lived outside of Atlanta, got my girl Holly in GA! I live in FL now. Can't wait to see pictures!!

·
Puppydom!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys! The wait is definitely anticipatory... Since I have NO dog supplies yet, this research phase is definitely keeping me occupied so I don't get too impatient!
mygoldengirl - Glad to hear Maggie and Casey are keeping you young over there. ;) Sounds like they're a fun handfull... Since you already had kiddos, you're going to be much more prepared than my husband and I will be!
tine484 - We ended up using Margie Sarkin of Goldruls, in Eatonton, GA. She's been fantastic! Which breeder did you use?
AlanK or tine484 - Do either of you know of any meetup groups in ATL? I've started looking on the forum for that... Nothing concrete that I could find just yet, but I'm not done exploring. Hoping to give the little pup lots of socialization opps, since he'll be an "only child."

Hoping the pic below gives you a glimpse into the little guys at 3 weeks' old... If not, I'll try to post it again. Trialing and erroring this first time uploading an image from a location. :) They were on the move - excuse the blurriness!

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,477 Posts
Welcome to the board. Keep us posted on the count down to when you get your pup. And post many pictures once you get him as well.

·
Puppydom!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much, Rob! I will absolutely post some pictures... I'll need you guys as a resource a ton, so it's a tradeoff that favors me, if you guys are up for it! :)

·
Puppydom!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Countdown to puppy is now at 6 days to go! I was a week behind somehow when I did my original count, so when I learned two weeks ago that we get him on March 1st instead of March 8th, I was so excited. :)

We've used chewy.com as a major resource, and bought him some big bed pillows from etsy.com, as well as a crate cover from etsy.com

We're just about stocked up:
Same food as the breeder uses
Durapet water/food bowls
Kongs
2 kinds of brushes (slicker + rake)
Puppy shampoo + conditioner (Earthbath and Tropiclean)
Rope toys
Happy Moppy toy
Snuggle pet w/beating heart
2 crates (one for upstairs and one for downstairs)
Nature's Miracle
Dog soothing music on the iPod in case he gets anxious at night
2 sizes of collars
Leash
Nylabone textured ring
Bitter Apple
Medium ChuckIt! rubber balls
Hol-ee Roller toy
Busy Buddy Squeeze Latex Elephant Toy
ORKA Tennis Ball
Jingle bells for the back door
Nylabone Puppy Teething Rings
Dyson vaccum for all the fur-fluff :)

Still have to buy:
nail clippers
car harness (thinking of going with SleepyPod ClickIt brand)

About halfway through "Golden Retrievers for Dummies," so we need to finish that up before Saturday as well.

If you spot anything we've missed here, or you have some good suggestions for a great (affordable) brand of nail clippers, I'd take any guidance I can get! :) Most of these things in my list I learned from studying the forums here, so THANK YOU!

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
What an adorable little fellow! I hope the week goes by fast for you.

Your list of puppy items looks great! :)

·
Puppydom!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little Astor has been with us since Saturday now... Only 2 nights of drama until I figured out that he probably doesn't need to go outside every 2 hours just b/c he woke up and cried a bit. ;) Now, we've been setting the alarm for every 3 hours, and we wake HIM up to take him out. So far, so good... He's an absolute sweetie! Although we're having to learn as we go, we've run into very few "issues" and are feeling pretty lucky. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,215 Posts

·
Puppydom!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Carolina Mom,

Thank you so much! He was a rambunctious handful today, and is currently zonked out under my chair... All tuckered out. :)

I feel like I'm living in the puppy section of this forum. It's been immensely helpful to read other people's experiences. I'm so grateful for it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts