Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I posted about the loss of our Golden named Sydney. I was amazed at the response I got here and all the nice people that said nice things.
I thought I should come here and introduce myself. My name is Doug and my wife Lisa was the one that suggested we get a Golden. This was almost 11.5 years ago. I knew nothing about the breed but did a little reading and decided to get Sydney. At the time our kids were 7, 9 & 11.
Sydney grew up with the kids and she was always a total joy to be around. It always seemed like she wanted to do what you wanted her to. She was full of love and playfulness and was a great addition to the family.
We still have a dog that was a stray that showed up where I work one day. This was about 9 years ago and he looks like a collie mix, his name is Miles. He has been a great dog too but has several health issues. He was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 or 7 years ago and is insulin dependent. He also has thyroid disease but just keeps chugging along. We always thought he would be the first to leave us because of his problems and Sydney was always very healthy.
We want to one day have another Golden but won't bring another puppy into the house as long as Miles is around. He is blind from the diabetes and can't hear very well. He gets nervous when other dogs come around. Sydney did help guide him around so he is missing her too.
I'm going to continue to hang out here and learn as much as I can about Goldens. Even though we had Sydney for over 11 years there is still things to learn about the breed.
Doug

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,666 Posts
Welcome Doug, so sorry for the loss of your Sydney. I lost my old guy almost a year ago, I know how hard it is and what you've been going through. I hope you find the days get easier for you. Glad to see you're planning on sticking around.

Just throwing this out there, you said Miles is missing Sydney-have you considered fostering for a Golden Rescue if there's one in your area? Most groups are always in need of great foster homes, lots of time they need fosters for Senior dogs. This would be a great way to help Miles and you can also learn more about the Golden Breed.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Gunner and I would like to welcome you from Michigan! I'm glad you are staying around. You will be happy you did. Lots to see and learn here and everyone is very nice and helpful. You will make lots of friends and also when you are ready, someone here will be able to help you find your new puppy. This place is amazing!!!!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hi Doug and welcome to the forum. I am new to the golden world and you are so right there is so much t learn and this is a great place to do it. Thank you for taking Miles in it sounds like he found the perfect home. You sould post up some pictures of him. I would love to see him.

·
Kristy
9,827 Posts
Welcome Doug, I am sorry that you found this forum for reasons that are so difficult, but it's how a lot of people end up here, myself included. It has been a great place and I've learned so much here.

When the day comes that you and your wife think about adding another golden, it will be an invaluable resource for making the best choice for you all regardless of whether you choose to rescue an adult or get a puppy from a really good breeder. In the meantime, it's also a good place to get a golden fix when your spirits need a little lift. I don't have a golden right now and visit here almost daily (to the amusement of my family - they love to tease me about this forum) for that very reason.

Welcome!

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wave:. I'm so sorry you found us under these circumstances. I read your other post and it broke my heart but I could feel the love you had for her.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Bless Sydney's heart for helping Miles. Please post a pic of him when you get a chance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a pic of miles and one of Sydney. Wasn't she a pretty girl? I miss her so much. These were taken in 2007.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts