Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a puppy about two months ago. Her name is Piper and she is four months old. We were wondering, since this is our second golden retriever, why Piper is refusing to go on walks. I have taken her on two successful walks but the others, she pulls back for the first half and forward for the second. Our other golden who just passed away never refused like this. Piper is not lazy, she loves to play in the yard and rather be outside playing than inside laying down. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do? Thanks.

·
Bailey's Mom
692 Posts
Welcome to the group! Have any pics of Piper to share? (Pics of Piper - say that 3 times fast! ;) )

Bailey went through a skittish stage when she was about 4 months old; I read it's common. Everything from a passing car to a dog barking 2 blocks away startled her. As the walking on a leash thing was new, it was too much stimulation for her, and she just sat.

I made sure we went out at quiet times of day, w/few distractions. It helped to do two very short walks per day, until she felt safe. Now, at 7 months, she struts around the neighborhood like she owns it!

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
The first few times I walked Samson, at 11 weeks, he was terrified of his leash....

It just took time and patience for him to learn and now he LOVES walks.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Try talking to her when you walk her and coax her to follow along with you. You can also try carrying treats with you or a few pieces of kibble to get her to follow along with you. The worst thing you can do is pull on the leash when she starts to refuse, that will just upset her more and make the leash a scary thing.

I leash-trained Vinny using a retractable leash and left the leash unlocked so that if he started to lag behind and didn't want to walk on the leash, it'd just extend out behind me as i walked. Eventually he learned that if he didn't come with me, he'd be left behind. Before long he had no problems walking on the leash. Of course you would have to do this in either your yard or on a rural road. I wouldn't recommend letting your dog walk on such a long uncontrolled leash if there are cars around.

·
idabwmn
1,055 Posts
Welcome it's a big world out there and sometimes they get alittle skittish just keeping working with her pretty soon she'll know when she sees her leash or hears the work walk she will go crazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts