Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the rest of you folks, pixiepurl and I have been discussing clicker training in private messaging. We also just started discussing how we selected our dogs. I thought I would open this thread in response to pixiepurl so that others could drop in anytime. After all this is what discussion groups are for isn't it?

My wife and I have been studying the pedigrees of some breeders here in the southwest part of Ohio, southeast Indiana, and northern Kentucky for some time now. We were not looking for any kind of special field trials dogs or champion show dogs but we just found it interesting to look at the bloodlines of the dogs available within a 60 mile radius of Cincinnati. We found that the bloodlines aren't very diverse. Through the AKC pedigrees we saw a trend toward keeping only three main bloodlines going in this geographic area. We went to a breeder almost in West Virginia and found a wonderful family of Goldens that interested us very much. They were light gold, large, and had a sprinkling of show and field champions in their herritage. So we purchased our boy there last Saturday. We had also been talking to some breeders in Kentucky and Indiana via email. I was surprised to find out that the dogs in eastern Ohio were in the same bloodline as the ones in Indiana and Kentucky. And that the litters that are available now are almost cousins.

That led me to ask myself if there might be too much in-breeding going on. After further investigation I found that most of the breeders here try to keep at least two generations separation between litters - but some don't. I don't know if I'm saying it right but some kennels do try to keep the bloodlines somewhat clean.

We had also been in contact with a kennel in Illinois. We went there several weeks ago to view a litter that would be ready to be adopted this week. So after our boy (still no name yet) got home with us on Saturday I contacted the folks in Illinois and told them we would be there on Tuesday (yesterday) to take another look. Wouildn't you know it - we came home with a little girl, Gingersnap Cookie, last night. No mix of bloodlines at least for the last 5 generations anyway.

By no means do I mean to imply that it's all that important to be so selective when picking your puppy - we just enjoyed looking into it. All we want is healthy lovers that are obedient.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love puppy pictures!

Actuallike most breeders "Line Breed" and the definition goes as follows;

breeding between related individuals, for example, inbreeding between first-degree relatives.

or the less bad sounding version:

<li>When two related individuals are mated together and the resulting offspring carries less than 50% of any common ancestor in it's pedigree.

Then there is Out Crossing;
Outcrossing: Mating two individuals of the same breed that are sufficiently unrelated that the IC of the progeny is lower than the average of the parents.

From what I understand LOTS of reputable breeders line breed for temprament and structure. It's not considered BAD, but I assume it can easily be done wrong.

Inbreeding is defined as this:
The mating between animals that are more closely related than the average relationship in the breed. In common usage, inbreeding refers to matings between close relatives, such as father to daughter, brother to sister, and half-brother to half sister. Planned breeding programs often use this strategy of breeding to concentrate desired genes in the breeding stock, and fix a "type", or "look". It is a process that exposes both the good and bad qualities in the stock. If the strain does carry a mutant, recessive gene (harmful or beneficial), it is more likely to become apparent sooner with inbreeding

Basically incest!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Love the puppies! Imagine....two at the same time.....I had a hard enough time getting hubby to agree to one. It would be heaven to have two goldens. Especially love the deep red coat!!
Our breeder actually has gone to the States to get a dog so the line stays pure. It's sure complicated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts