Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost our Ginger, on October 11, 2009, my 19th birthday.

I always wanted a dog and constantly begged Mom and Dad for one. I would carry around pictures I drew of various dogs and would treat them as my own. When I was about 7 years old, they finally said yes. I can remember waiting outside all day until the breeder brought me my puppy. From Champion lines but too shy to be a show dog, Ginger was the ideal family pet. While it sounds cliche, Ginger was my best friend. She loved belly rubs, swimming, her pink balls, and attention in general. My plate was always clean of scraps; why shouldn't it be if there's a convient food disposal system waiting by my knees? Our bond seemed to strengthen as we both grew older. She spent many hours by my side, and probably I to her too. She loved sitting in the sun while I groomed her, knowing many treats were to follow. She stayed active and many were suprised by her age.

I left for college in August of 2009. I knew in my gut that something wasn't right, that she wouldn't take it so well. She became more tired only about a month before she was to leave us. It's hard to notice slight changes in behavior like that when your dog is almost 12 years old. I called my parents one evening and had a rather pleasant conversation, only to be told that Ginger wasn't feeling very well and that Dad would take her to the vet in the morning. Even though my parents sounded as if it was nothing too serious, the moment I got off the phone, I cryed my eyes out. I knew something was wrong. The vet found nothing wrong with her, and by noon that day, she seemed to have improved. Two weeks went by with nothing wrong. I came home for the weekend and was in the front yard with the family and Ginger. She was playing with our neighbor's dog when she froze up and fell over. We all sat with her and prayed that she knew we were with her if this was the end. It was not. She held on for another day and a half. I stayed with her awake through the night and hoped she sensed me. It was a hard struggle to decide if we should put her to sleep or hope she came out of it. My birthday morning she seemed slightly better; hope was strong. By 9:30pm that night, she was fading fast. I attempted to revive her with compressions; it was her time. She waited for the family to be together again.
I miss her every day. My dad sometimes forgets and calls her name. I still quickly look around when there's thunder because she always hated storms. She has changed my life and my family's life. I'm sad when I think of her, but her life is more important that her death. My good girl is now with God. And He is lucky.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=521580817#/photo.php?pid=146167&id=521580817

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
I am so sorry you lost your Ginger - her waiting for you to come home was a gift.

Run softly at the bridge Sweet Ginger

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
So Sorry. Ginger is now watching over you. It's good you were able to be with her till the end.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss of Ginger.

Thank you for sharing the story of her life with us. She was obviously much loved and gave much love in return.

It's so hard to lose them but sharing our lives with them and the wonderful memories that they leave us with are a gift.

Rest in peace sweet Ginger, you are loved and missed.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I am so very sorry for the loss of Ginger. I can tell how much she was loved.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Welcome to the GRF! :wavey: I am so sorry that my first communication with you is over the passing of your sweet Ginger.
What an absolutely heart warming and at the same time heart breaking story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us, my day is much fuller having read it. Although some time has passed since Ginger went to be His dog I hope the website below can give you even more comfort during those times you find the ache to be mounting.

The STAR

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Ginger

I am so very sorry about Ginger.

Ginger knows how much you loved her and you were home when she went to the Bridge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for all the replys; it makes me feel better to have shared our story with you. I think of Ginger every day and so does the rest of my family. I think that it would have been about 10x more difficult to deal with her loss have we not had Dash and Dusty, my two full grown kittens, to help comfort us. Ginger gave us a big gift in that she tolerated the kittens; they always seemed to look up to her. They actually act so much like her, almost like she left a little bit behind for us to remember her by. We are also very excited as we will be getting a golden puppy in the summer. :)

·
MEG
1,568 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Your tribute had me reaching for the tissues! God is indeed lucky to have our best friends.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
So sorry for the loss of your girl, sounds like Ginger had a great life with you, she will now be running and playing with her friends at the bridge.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
I am so sorry you had to find us due to the loss of Ginger. She sounds like she was a wonderful and sweet girl. Knowing that she waited till you came home shows the love that you shared. It is nice that you are going to share your life with another golden puppy. I bet Ginger will be there in spirit to show your new puppy the way.

·
3 goldens
12,184 Posts
She is in the compnay of a lot of wonderful goldens, 4 of them mine...plus my Irish Setters and English setters--I hae owsned dogs for over 50 years, love and miss every one of them even today. Your Ginger will live in your heart forever.

·
801 Posts
Welcome to the forum. So sorry about your Ginger. I think of the ones I have lost often and with very fond memories and they are forever with me in my heart. They have gone on to be with friends and family that have passed. Your new puppy will do things that will remind you of your Ginger while at the same time showing you all the new things that a puppy can show.

Good luck to you on your journey.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
What a beautiful girl Ginger was, and she was so very lucky to be loved the way she was. So sorry for your loss. She will always be with you- Welcome to GRF. We look forward to seeing you around here with puppy pictures!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
What a beautiful tribute to Ginger. She knew she was loved and cherished through out her life. She's now running and playing at Rainbow Bridge, young and healthy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts