Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Sergeant Welch, I am 25 and currently in the Army. I am about to medically retire in a couple of months. After months of research on the web I've decided to buy a golden retriever from http://www.englishcreamretriever.com/Avail.html. I haven't decided on a name yet, but I reserved a female from the Kapa and Dream litter. I was torn between a golden retriever and a border collie because I wanted a smart dog, but I thought the golden retriever was a better fit for me. I decided I'm going to feed her Orijen because I have read great reviews on it from several websites. Once I get out of the military I'm going to be living in Shreveport LA, where I am originally from. I want to try and do as much as I can with my dog!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Welcome! Can't wait to see pictures of your new pup when you bring her home. Goldens are lovable, smart, wonderful dogs. :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to GRF. I am sure you will love a golden retriever. I'm not familiar with the breeder you have chosen but at the top of the page is a "Puppy Buyers Fact Checker" link that will help you ask the right questions. As far as foods there are lots of good ones out there. Unfortunately there is not a single one that works for all goldens. Don't be surprised if you have to try two or three before you find the one that works for your new pup. Best of luck to you and looking forward to watching your pup grow up here on GRF.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service to our country. Congratulations on your puppy. I think you will love having a golden retiever and never want another breed again. I know it was that way with us. Hope you will share pictures of your puppy with us. Have you picked out a name yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Beau, nah no name yet. I want it to be perfect. I looked on the forum at some of the names, then I stopped because I didn't want to steal a name, lol.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Welcome from Georgia:wavey:. I also thank you for your dedication and service to our country!

I do believe you have made a wise decision to become the friend of a Golden Retriever. You surely know what trust and dedication means and a Golden is just that!

Please do check out the "Puppy Buyers Fact Checker" Finding the perfect pup is an important task.

Good luck
Al & Tuff Dog

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't know a thing about finding a good breeder but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who can help you in that department.
However, I'm always up for some happy new puppy announcements and pictures - we love pics here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warm welcome Alan and C's Mom. I've already put the 500 dollar deposit on the puppy. It's due late this month, then I have to wait eight weeks! I'm really loving this forum though, it has everything, awesome people and even a puzzle section!

I'm being retired for Post traumatic Stress Disorder. I read online that having a dog can help with recovery. Like I said, I wanted a smart dog ( http://www.petmedsonline.org/top-10-smartest-dogs-in-the-world.html) I was dead set on a Border Collie, but then I checked this http://www.petmedsonline.org/top-10-playful-affectionate-dog-breeds.html Then I read about the golden retriever and thought it would be better with the PTSD. I then decided the English Cream because I like the look. I'm planning on spending time with my dog and trying to do Agility, Obedience, or Show. That way I'll have something to do, instead of sit at home all day everyday. I think it will help me become more active. As of now I rarely leave my room, unless it's to get drive through food or movies. I can't be around too many people because of the anxiety. I think the dog will help reopen doors for me.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
The more you describe yourself the more I think you have made the right decision. I have an English cross myself and although you will find some threads on this forum putting down English golden breeders in America because some breeders describe them as rare and demand a higher price, don't be discouraged. We love all goldens here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the english I'm getting is around 3k USD, but for over ten years of companionship I think it's worth it. I think I'm going to name her Cadence, I got the name from Luvmydog2 on this forum. I really like the name, and I can make the regestered name Sergeant Bradley's Cadence, after my fallen comrade. I hope Luvmydog2 doesn't get mad, but I really like the name!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome to the forum,I grew up an army brat and even though I swore to myself I would never marry anyone in the military I did, so the army is all I know. I want to thank you for your service...I am currently going through a deployment (my husband is deployed) and I cant even begin to tell anyone exactly how rough it is for these guys and of course those of us at home waiting for their return. Many of my friends have been deployed and they never come back exactly the same. I definantly think having a dog will help you out, I know PTSD varies person to person but one of my friends had a really hard time when he came back and had freaked out on the 4th of July because the fireworks triggered some sort of flashback or something but he got a dog and I cant say that he's a changed person and I'm no expert but I dont think you ever forget some of things you experience when you're in a war zone but the dog definantly helped alot with his anxiety/panic attacks and I think what he needed was a companion that would just listen and be there for him unconditionally. I hope you're new pup will give that to you and help make things a little more normal for you =)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Hello! If you are looking for a good training class once you're in Shreveport I highly recommend Oak Grove in Haughton. The main trainer there is Paula Barras, who is also an AKC obedience judge.

The local obedience club there is Red River Obedience Training Club, which you should look into joining. I go to their trial every year in Bossier City, it's great! They also offer classes but I would still recommend Oak Grove.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Well this is very exciting for you - what a great addition of the best friend you will ever have on four legs.

Names are hard, I had dozens and narrowed it down to 3 - when I saw my guys for the first time the names I picked never fit the face. Scout was "no name" for about two weeks as the names "Winston" "Finley" etc just did not fit his face or personality. I'm sure you will pick a great name.

Um Noah was a good name until "No" became a big part of his day. "No - Noah" took a bit to train, something to think about.

Perhaps at some point you'll be able to help others with PTSD by visiting with your new pup. I'm positive a Golden is the best choice for you.

Happy "almost" puppy time. If you have the option to visit her during her first 8 weeks I say visit as much as you can - they row so fast.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Another thanks for your service from me.
Hmm, I read that you are getting a dog to help you with PTSS. My Max is now 1 year old and I adore him! In fact, I'd never get another kind of dog again. I'm sold on goldens. That being said, I think Max will be my last puppy puppy. I'm not sure we'd survive another golden puppyhood. I just want to make sure that you are aware that your adorable little puppy is going to drive you nuts, stress you out, and be emotionally exhausting at times. Goldens are little land sharks and like every one of us there, you'll have to survive that phase and it's not easy, let me tell you. I remember asking, when they lose their sharp baby teeth and almost crying when I realized I had another 3 months to go. Max has likely destroyed several hundreds of dollars in clothing and another several hundred in wooden things in my house. Potty training can either be super easy, I've read, somewhere inbetween like Max, or take a long time. They shed like loons when they grow up so hopefully you won't mind that.
All those things said and being true, I would never trade Max for anything! He was worth it!! He is like your closest goofy friend who is always looking for a laugh. But it wasn't easy getting through those stages sometimes. Just an FYI and brace yourself kind of post so you aren't surprised. With a positive go getter attitude, you can't go wrong!
Enjoy your girl when you get her and please post pics when you can!!! Welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts