Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first got Finn a couple weeks ago, we didn't buy him a bed right away (I read that you shouldn't? Idk) and we were just lining his crate with towels. Well, he prefers sleeping on the plastic I guess so he kept pushing the towels out of the way. Fair enough, we said, until we heard his nails against the plastic. OMG so loud and horrible. Sometimes it's that he's trying to dig into the plastic but mostly he wasn't doing anything we could really correct, like he was just scratching himself but his body shaking made so much noise and he'd wake us up several times every night.

We bought him a bed that fits neatly in his crate a couple days ago, assuming he wouldn't be able to push it out of the way. Here's a photo:

It has the exact measurements of his crate, but it's still pretty lightweight. I didn't want to get him a big fluffy bed because were still using the divider and I didn't think one would fit underneath, but also because he seems to prefer the hard surface, he doesn't like to lay on our bed with us or even on piles of clothes or towels.

He was good with his bed for the first couple days, but now this morning he started picking it up and moving it to get to the plastic! He woke me up several times since 4am doing this, and since the sun has come up now I can see that every time I say NO he lets the corner of the bed fall back down, lays down on it, and stares at me until I lay down again and then starts back up!

He finally seems to have gotten tired of this game and he's just hanging out with some toys now but I can't believe he did that. I'm like half annoyed/half amused. Oh well!

Anyway, how would I discourage this in the future so he stops faster? Use the same method?

On a more serious note, he also keeps trying to bite the sides of his crate between the wires. He always has toys and things to chew on, just sometimes he wants to bite the crate I guess? We always discourage this when we see him doing it, but a few days ago he got his mouth stuck in it and my husband had to get him free. I'm so scared he's going to do this and hurt himself when were not home, ideas?

·
Registered
62 Posts
we had this same problem with our puppy. He didn't like sleeping on the bed or blanket we put in the crate. He would move it out of the way and sleep on the metal bottom. He would make so much noise in the metal crate that my husband and I were not getting any sleep. we eventually moved his crate out of the bedroom and we have been sleeping better. we were worried that our pup would be anxious if he wasn't int he same room with us but he's been fine. we can still hear him bark in theo mornings when he wants to go outside.

·
Premium Member
18,105 Posts
I've found a lot of dogs prefer to sleep on the pan rather than bedding. Most of them tear up the bedding or push it to the side. You need to watch and be sure he isn't tearing it up, one because it's a bad habit, and two because if he chews off pieces and eats them you may have a problem with digestion. If you can teach him to leave it alone great, but if not for his safety you may have to just learn to ignore the nails on the pan noise.

Chewing on the crate wires is pretty much just boredom. How long does he stay in the crate at one time?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would get rid of the towels all together. There's a reason he likes laying on the plastic pan. It's much cooler. Did you know that the average temperature of a dog is around 101 degrees? Imagine if you were running at 101. You'd be looking for ways to cool off. Cold floors and air vents are a dogs best friend. If the noise his nails create on the plastic is bothering you, you could always order a metal pan (they sell them on eBay in various sizes). In fact, you might have no notice but to do so one day cause it's not at all uncommon for them to start chewing away at the plastic pan. I'm thinking about ordering one myself, for the fact that it's colder, quieter, and much easier to clean.

Sorry I can't be much of a help in telling you how to stop him for chewing the towels. The only time JJ doesn't attack a towel is when he's being dried off, and that's only cause I had to tell him no about 101 times while feeding him treats whenever he stopped. Now he sits there like a nice boy and waits until I'm done drying him off. If you're keen on having him sleep in a bed or on a towel, maybe you want to try leaving the towel out of the create for a couple days, and everytime he goes at it, tell him no and reward him when he stops. Maybe after a few days he'll begin to learn that chewing the towel isn't good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts