Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roan is 1.5 years and while we've had our share of skin issues, the last 2 months have been unbelievable. He has huge flakes of dry skin coming off his back. Doesn't seem to bother him but he's leaving his mark everywhere!

He's getting Nutro Ultra Holistic Large Breed and two DermCaps a day. We recently moved to a house next to a river and he's constantly in the muck so baths are frequent. I've been using either oatmeal or tea tree based products.

What am I missing? I really don't want to start him on a medication if I can help it.

Thanks!

Mere

Attachments

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
My berner has had something similar a couple of times. It was an infection of sorts that we needed a medicated shampoo to control. It's probably worth a trip to the vet to have it looked at because it could get a lot worse if it's an infection or a bacteria.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'd definitely stop with the tea tree shampoo. Tea tree oil is a pretty powerful substance, and many animals react badly to it. It's probably not the culprit, but it's an easy thing to cut out.

Next, I'd take a look at his diet. It's possible that he's responding poorly to one of the protein sources in the food. If you switch him to a food with a completely different protein source, you can tell if that's the key element.

I think those are the two most likely culprits beyond a skin infection of some kind. I imagine you've checked with your vet to rule that out, though.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Have you had his thyroid levels checked? Low thyroid can cause dry flaky skin.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Does he have a sour smell to him? If so, he could have a yeast issue. I use a probiotic from Natures Farmacy (thanks to the recommendations here) and that has helped stem the yeast issues my golden/lab mix was having with her skin and that my goldens were having in their ears. It's very reasonably priced! He is a gorgeous dog.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
You could try finding a gentle coconut based shampoo (or something without a harsh soap ingredient). Tea tree can be drying. Also, you might want to add a fish oil supplement to the diet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts