Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little puppy is becoming a man. Flip is officially a leg lifter.

Conner only lifted his leg for one week of his life (the week I brought Flip home). Colby lifts his leg when we are away from home, but still squats in our own yard. But Flip is now a regular "I can't pee without my leg in the air" man. I just hope he doesn't get the idea that he can do that in the house.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He just turned 8 months. I've been watching the leg lifting (with a combination of pride and horror) for a couple of weeks now.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Way to go Flip!! Lift it high!!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Aren't they cute when they learn that? Parker's been lifting his for about a month now. He started by just holding it up, but didn't get that twisting action until recently. Now he lifts it WAY higher than he needs to!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Casey is almost 12 and has lifted his leg once, maybe twice that I've seen. I wonder if they learn from watching one another, or are hormones contributing too?

Flip, you're growing up!! :) Conner taught you well!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard that if you get a dog neutered before they start leg lifting there is a bigger chance they'll never start.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Casey is almost 12 and has lifted his leg once, maybe twice that I've seen. I wonder if they learn from watching one another, or are hormones contributing too?

I think it can definitely be learned. Dillon is neutered and always squatted until he lived with me for like a year, then all of a sudden he would lift his leg like 25% of the time. It's never a big leg hike, more just a little tiny lift, but it's definitely something he learned and started doing over time.

Sam, on the other hand, lifts his leg EVERY TIME, and on EVERY THING. lol

·
They grow so fast
653 Posts
Jaxson is 14 weeks and has lifted his leg 2x that I seen...:curtain: the first he got it about 3 inches off the ground, more of a stretch and happen to pee. The sec he lifted it to pee on the hot tub... I was super proud of him, but not the area he chose.

He has been recently playing with the dog across the street whom is a nova scotian retriever. He lifts his leg HIGH and alot when they play, to the point that he is going on Jaxson. I have had to start limiting there time together cause Jaxson leaves needing a bath. I think Jaxson is learning to lift his to get him back one day soon.:p:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Paris is 8 months and he hasn't lifted his leg yet!! He isn't neutered!!
I've heard that when the males start to lift the leg to pee, means that they learn to hold it. Is it true??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts