Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 4 months old, and he CONSTANTLY jumps on me. I can't get him to stop. It hurts, he's a biiig boy! How do I train him to stop doing this? Any suggestions?
We have tried just pushing him off, and my uncle (another retriever owner) told me to just pop my knee up. We have been trying both for a month, and it seems like he is jumping even more.

·
Kristy
9,389 Posts
I don't have great suggestions for this other than try to keep a leash on him at all times and anticipate. If you can have him sit and quickly reward him with a treat, he should eventually sit to greet, or at least sit pretty before he jumps on them :)

Please don't use the knee, I did this once years ago to my first dog (a collie/sheltie mix) and I caught him just right in the ribs and knocked the wind out of him and knocked him to the ground. I thought I'd killed him, it was an awful feeling for a good minute. I don't think it cured him, but it sure cured me. I never did that again to any dog since. Try the leash and anticipating with an alternative command and treat reward. Good Luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is a constant battle with my 5 month old ... He only jumps me when he get a bug up his butt when we are walking. in the house, I just kept walking and ignored him. Took awhile for him to cop a clue, but now all I need to do is give him the stink eye and he thinks twice.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Another idea is if you can see he's starting to jump take a step back so he doesn't connect and tell him to sit. I agree. No attention when he's jumping. My 6 month old is learning to do it when he wants my attention.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Being 6'8, I can't really do this with my little guy, and I hope I never have to by the time he's that size, but I've heard a lot of people say that if your dog jumps up on you that you should put your knee up to stop him. Don't know how effective it is, but it may be worth a try if he's at that height.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Try avoiding eye contact or even turning your back until he is sitting. When he sits go ahead and give him all the attention he wants. Always four on the floor before he gets attention. He will get the idea.
We turned our backs on our pup and it worked. We did not pet her until she sat. Now she sits without being told and usually rolls on her back for a belly rub!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just one more thing to add, when you turn your back on the pup or ignore it until it settles, remove the hands! So often I ask people to look up and ignore the dog until she settles...their hands are down and thats all it takes...she can reach the hands.

Now both of my girls will automatically sit for anything 'they' may want!

Also enforce this when you put the leash on, wait at the door...everything and anything. It takes patience but it really pays off in the end.

·
Premium Member
18,094 Posts
Being 6'8, I can't really do this with my little guy, and I hope I never have to by the time he's that size, but I've heard a lot of people say that if your dog jumps up on you that you should put your knee up to stop him. Don't know how effective it is, but it may be worth a try if he's at that height.
It's really is not effective, and some dogs think it's part of the game and will escalate the jumping on you.

Teach your puppy "sit" during sessions that are not part of what causes him to jump. Then when he does jump, turn your back on him and say "SIT" firmly. It will take repetition, but eventually he will learn to sit instead of jump on you. He's still really young and this is totally normal behavior for his age, but practice "sit" and it will help during the frantic jumping periods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts