Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my sweet Kiley. She is 11 and on March 18, after finding she had fluid around her heart and in her abdomen and lungs, she was diagnosed with Hermangiosarcoma of her heart. My veterinary cardiologist tapped the fluid from around her heart and gave her 3 weeks to 2 months to live. It’s now been 4 months, so I took her back to my cardiologist for an echocardiogram and he found no fluid. He now believes it’s less likely that she has hermangiosarcoma, but can’t be sure of the initial cause of the fluid. Needless to say, I was over the moon but yesterday we were relaxing on the couch and suddenly her eyes started rolling back. It only lasted a few seconds. During all of the above she has acted completely normal and is eating and drinking normally.

I want so desperately for her to be with us, but she has been so wonderful to us it would break my heart if she was suffering and I didn’t see it.

If anyone has experienced anything like this, your thoughts would mean so much to me. Thank you 🙏

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,742 Posts
Welcome, I'm sorry about Kiley.

I would make an appointment with an Oncologist or go to a Vet Med School Clinic to find out what your treatment options are.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I'm sorry Kiley is having health problems. I know that had to be scary being diagnosed with hemangio and then being told probably not (although that was great news.) Is she on any new medication? Also sounds like possibly a slight seizure or being in pain. All I can do is guess based on what you've said. Perhaps tell the cardiologist of this new symptom and see what he or she suggests. I'd want an ultrasound to make sure there are no obvious masses in the usual places (spleen, liver.) I assume bloodwork was done to check for an infection, etc.

When my Golden Retriever had cancer, the first symptom he presented with was being unsteady on his feet and looking like he was disoriented.

I hope it's something simple and easily treatable for Kiley. She's a sweet looking girl.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,869 Posts
I had a dog once who had fluid around the heart and in the lungs. Turned out to be a mediastinal pneumothorax likely caused by an impact with another dog playing with her too rough. Such injuries are usually from being hit by a car or other substantial impact. It causes fluid in the sac around the heart and infusion of fluid into the lungs.

Maybe something like that?

If it's hemangio, blood tests, biopsy, or a PCR test would be in order. Did your vet do any of those?

·
the party's crashing us
4,418 Posts
Hi, 95% of the time if you find pericardial effusion in an older golden, it's a heart-based tumor. 99% of the time that heart based tumor is hemangiosarcoma (not "herm"). However there are other causes. My old dog Fisher (2003-2015) was one of the "lucky" ones -- he had pericardial mesothelioma. Way slower growing than hemangio. At any rate, the first thing we did to help diagnose is an ultrasound, and they could not visualize a tumor, thus ruling out hemangio on the heart. Did your girl have an ultrasound done?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My Jonah was dx'd with cardiac hemangiosarcoma near age 12, and very sadly the dx was correct. It was very sudden and unexpected and he lived for two months following the dx. He had consults and tests done with both an oncologist and cardiologist and we were told that there was/is no treatment to prolong life with this dx. With this dx he continued to eat very well but increasing lethargy and no energy were very obvious. Treasure whatever time you have with your dog. Hemangiosarcoma is a nightmare cancer that sadly takes the life of too many GR's and other breeds predisposed to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts